• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back issues. I can’t gut a deer while on the ground

lawrence

SH Member
So I have back issues. Took two bucks this year. I usually pull them away from where I hit and hit them on the ground. This year my back and knees said nope.. not going to happen. It’s not an issue if they are hanging. But I don’t want to haul a gambrel the 2.5 miles I walk.

do you have a different way of doing this?
Is there a mini hoist or something?

So I have back issues. Took two bucks this year. I usually pull them away from where I hit and hit them on the ground. This year my back and knees said nope.. not going to happen. It’s not an issue if they are hanging. But I don’t want to haul a gambrel the 2.5 miles I walk.

do you have a different way of doing this?
Is there a mini hoist or something?
There was a recent thread on here about that very issue. I think you will get a lot out of it.

I always gut my deer while hanging. It’s so much easier. I haven’t field dressed a deer in the last 10 years. I usually get them home whole and then gut them but I suppose you could do it in the field with a portable hoist.

Could you use just rope with a monkeys fist knot on one end to throw over a branch, tie the back legs and hoist?

I always gut my deer while hanging. It’s so much easier. I haven’t field dressed a deer in the last 10 years. I usually get them home whole and then gut them but I suppose you could do it in the field with a portable hoist.
I used to do the out in the field gut job, but a buddy of mine showed me his way of gutting while hanging, I will definitely be doing that next yr.

There are a couple of different lightweight deer hoists; EWO has an excellent one and there are others in the DIY section. Some of the mountain hunting set use them, and BWCA canoeists use similar setups to hang bear bags.

As far as the gambrel itself, I've seen lightweight wire-rope-and-aluminum contraptions, but if you can find a tree to suspend your hoist from, you can probably also find a stout stick to pass under the back leg tendons. Really, though, you could hang from the head to gut, and then if you want to hang it head-down to disassemble it you could just attach your hoist to the pelvis, as if it were a bear carcass.

What I did last year (not this year because I got nothing) was to make the abdominal cut in the ground the hoist them from the head to gut.

Much easier and by making the cut on the ground, less chance of nicking the stomach or intestine.

As an aside, I see this as mandatory if you broke an arrow and am unsure if the broadhead is in the cavity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still able to do this from the ground, but I have thought of it for when the day comes I can't.

I thought I would carry a snatch block pulley or a king pro recovery ring so I could pulley it up in a tree. The idea is you always have a rope with when deer hunting, at least I do, so then it's just a matter of finding a limb that can support the pull. Would need a small section of amsteel to attach the pulley system to the limb as well.

I have skinned and deboned several deer with EWO kit. It is slick and ultralight. I don't even bother gutting. Just hang and do the gutless method. Grab the inner loins from under the rib from the back. Cut the diaphragm and get the heart after your done if its intact. I did see another set up from Clay Hayes if you are interested:

Gravity makes gutting them a whole lot easier when they’re hanging.
One property we hunted didn't allow dressing on the property...did a few on the tailgate on a dead end dark road. One nite we got the idea of using the engine hoist in the garage. Worked great with a big garbage can under to catch the mess.... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe something like this would help ?
Hunter's Specialties Back Country Gambrel with Hoist - 596669, Game Carriers, Bags & Hoists at Sportsman's Guide (sportsmansguide.com)

OR ?
Guide Gear Deluxe Deer Hoist and Gambrel, Swivel Hitch Lift System - 177433, Game Carriers, Bags & Hoists at Sportsman's Guide (sportsmansguide.com)

I don’t know what terrain you hunt but in the mountains I find a steep short bank. I actually locate this during scouting. I just tie the horns or deer to a tree and flip it off the bank. Then slip down and it’s kind of like a gambrel. You gut and it falls out. Then I just head down heel

Go with the EWO hoist and the no gut method. I have cleaned and packed out a bunch of deer in the past couple years with that method.
My back does not doing a ground field dress and cleaning anymore.

Back