• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backcountry Deer/Turkeys - Gear List/Insight

jlh42581

Alright folks, you asked for it, get your credit cards ready and prepare to have a heart attack lol. Seriously, it took me a few years to accumulate this stuff, I have a good career but I also have a 3 year old so I couldnt just buy it as I want it. I built my gear over years of refinement, buying, testing, selling it at a loss... lets start

Mountain-Hardwear-Sprite-1.jpg

1: Mountain Hardware Sprite 1 - This is my solo tent, not sure if its even still on the market. I bought it used on ebay, I watched every day for six months till a guy threw up a new one barely used and I paid $60 for it. Mine is actually purple and green. Lots of similar tents, comes in around 3lbs 8oz. Its big enough to lay in, sit in and has a vestibule to stash gear under at night to keep it dry.

2: Mummy Bag - cant remember where I got it but it was only about $50, I want to upgrade this but its doing ok. Keep in mind that you buy the zipper on the side you reach across to get out, a right hander wants a left zip and so on. Bags can get insane expensive fast, mine is rated to 30, ive had it down to 15 with no clothes in the bag but I am a hot sleeper. The general consensus is to save bag weight by only going with as low of a rating as you need for what you are camping in. Most people sleep fully clothed. The mummy bag is considered good cause heat lost through the head is the biggest loss. Obviously this isnt a concern early but if you start into the rut in the north you will likely need it.

3: Sleeping Pad : Big Agnes Air Core - $50 on sale - the foam are by far the lightest but I cant get down with that, ive got a bum knee and shoulder so if I dont sleep well ill be miserable. Because this is inflatable I use this AWESOME inflator called the Instaflator ($3), its basically a big bag you open, let the wind blow in then roll it to pump air in. It takes 1 fill to fill the bed. This thing is so light its gotta be in the ounces. ( http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 9003,d.cWc )

4: Cook System - MSR Pocket Rocket/Fuel + Aluminum Backpacking Pot $100 - The stove runs about $40 then you need a pot system, titanium is best but aluminum will cut it. Sometimes you can find knock offs of both on ebay. I carry this all season because I hate cold sandwhiches for lunch. You should see people when they come out of the woods and im standing there making hot coffee or eating warm soup. One of my fav pieces of gear.

5: Water - Katadyn Hiker Pro - $85 - obviously you need things to fill I run a 1L bladder and carry a Blender Bottle, the bottle doubles for mixing drinks and also carrying water to cook with, getting water out of a bladder can be done but its not fun. Ive got quick hookups on the bladder so I can stop, drop the filter in the creek and fill up the bladder without removing it from the pack.

6: Knife - Havlon & Extra Blades - $30 - this knife is unreal, simply awesome is all I can say, light deadly sharp. I also carry a cheap gerber that I can pry with cause you cant pry with a a havalon the blade will break.

7: Alaska Game Bags - $25 - used to pack out meat, can be washed, they are great

8: Pack - KUIU Ultra $300-$400 - this bag uses one frame for multiple bags, it has so many configurations youll have to choose. You can go as low as the 1800 and stuff another 2000 between the frame and bag but thats probably pushing it. Youll be lashing stuff to the outside too, I love mine, best pack ive ever owned and ive had a lot from the full curl to the x2. BIGGEST BIGGEST BIGGEST thing with this pack is the torso sizing is adjustable, I cant state how much of a difference the correct torso sizing matters in carrying a heavy load.

9: Spot Rescue Device - $200 first year, $100 year after - If you are solo, this is a must in my mind because no one will know youre hurt. I carry it all the time, it gives my wife peace of mind.

10: Perimeter Alarm - $30-$40, dont own this yet but I live in bear territory so I will add it(http://thesolohunter.com/store/SOLO-HUN ... ystem.html) can be had cheaper

11: Extra Paracord - A million uses from hanging meat to hanging your food outside camp

12: First Aid - Super glue, Space Blanket, Thread, Needle, Quick Clot, Aspirin, Antihistamine(think bees)... dont take all of everything but take a little of everything. My kit fits in a ziplock about 1/3 the size of a normal one.

13: Packable Insulation - down is the lightest of all, it doesnt have to be a hunting company, my down vest is marmot, my pants are mountain hardware synthetics.

Last is clothes, wear good stuff, dont take cotton, dont take extra stuff you wont wear, oz = lbs and lbs = pain. My saddle is an aeroevo with muddy sticks and strap steps. My clothes vary all year long but one thing I didnt do is cheap on clothing. I have 100% wool base layers, I wear core4 in the heat, firstlite in the cold and hells canyon packable rain gear in the rain or high wind/cold. Good socks, yea its a bummer to pay $40 for a pair of socks but they wont be crusty nasty in 2 days. My hikers are keen targhees my bigger boots are danner high ground. A pair of gaiters isnt a bad idea either, I own mucks too but they are not the boot for this, you need ankle support. You could be coming out with 30lbs of gear and meat, speaking of it might be multiple trips if you kill back there. Dont forget to bring a toothbrush or some deodorant, neither of those items should be skipped multiple days(colgate whisps are an alternative). I also carry wet wipes, you can buy individual packaged ones like the hand wipes they give you eating wings(which by the way is another great thing to keep in your pack), few paper towels.

Look at what the guys in the west do, thats what I have been doing, thats normal for them, why it never caught on in the East is beyond me. Then again, people still drag deer and after you quarter one, one time, youll never drag again, much easier to walk it out.

Any questions Ill try to answer based on what I know, but I am certainly not an expert. Im not a fan of pointing people other places but theres a lot of hardcore hunters on rokslide.

Test everything before you ever think about this, ive been camping my entire life and just starting down this road. Ive been trying to convince friends without luck, they talk the talk but none walk the walk. Solo is how I will be which isnt anything new. One thing I know going into this is all my gear works well.

Also, get some cotton balls and a can of Vaseline, pull the cotton and work Vaseline into it then form it back into a ball. These will burn for 5 mins even in the rain. Have 2-3 fire options as well, know that pine sap burns like gas.

I skipped food, you want the most amount of calories per weight, trailmix is very high, guys like pbutter on bagels(dont crush), ive dehydrated chili, ate mt house meals, youll have to tailor this to you but think about the weight, you can put a lot of weight in your pack with food. Youre going to have to camp near a water source, hence the filter, only carry what you need to get there, water is heavy. Take things like powdered gatorade or wilderness athlete, protein powder - this is what you need the blender bottle for, miles well get double use.

Excellent post! I am slowly putting together my backpacking kit based around a hammock sleeping system.

I like hammocks more than tents due to the comfort, modularity, and tarps give you a little more room to stand under shelter.

The goal is to get the backpacking and rope climbing systems put together this year and summer, hunt local this fall, then head to northern MI to hunt backwoods like you are doing in a couple seasons.

I like the quartering in the field idea. Do you lose any meat that way? Do you have a link to a specific method you use?

One more related thought: In researching MOLLE backpack frames/accessories, people frequently cite the weight of the system as a downside. However, I can NOT find the weight of the individual components - Primarily, the frame, straps, and kidney belt. Does anyone have this information?

You dont want the molle frame, its the most basic of the most basic thing you can imagine. The frame itself is light and its cheap thats what makes it attractive for a treestand. Ive owned three for stands, in my opinion theyre great for that because youre turning the stand into a frame. Let me step back a hair, the molle would be ok if you are really tight on money, better than no frame at all by a long shot, finding a bag to fit it woudlnt be easy but you could always use a large kuiu rolltop bag on it, but youd really need to lash it down good. I went through probably at least a dozen packs before I bought the kuiu trying to find one I liked, having one thats off makes the load feel terrible, 20lbs is terrible let alone an entire camp. A naked molle frame with belt and shoulder pads is probably in the neighborhood of 3-5lbs. My kuiu is 2lbs 13oz empty with an 1800 bag, I can go to 2 other bags on the same frame for about $75, hence ill be getting a bigger one for the trips.

You loose a little bit but not much. I use the same gutless method used on elk no worse I feel than standard cutup at home.(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsO4tsrKPw )

I take it one step futher and debone the hind quarters, its super easy to do once you know how, you just cut a line with the bone and from that point forward never leave it. I learned this at a sports show watching a professional butcher.

Whats up with the css styling on links? I cant see them until mouse over

Love the looks of the kuiu stuff. I am looking at the MOLLE for a different, somewhat more modular system different from the subject of this thread. Money is very tight and I would like to make some custom pieces, but I need a frame to support everything and the molle is cheap. I'll thank you for the info and leave it at that to avoid derailing the thread!

This is kind of the direction I'm going...the idea is still forming in my mind though!

http://m.llbean.com/product.html?&page= ... pack#64392

Thanks man. That's a nice set of gear. I've been slowly trying to lighten my stuff up also as some of it is pretty heavy. We have a 16 mo old so I feel your pain when it comes to the cost of it all.
I've never understood why more people don't use the gutless method. I just started this year so I've only done two deer but it is awesome. I actually go ahead and just bone the whole deer out at the kill site. The buck I killed during rifle season would have made for a brutal drag!
If things come together I'm at least going to overnight a time or two next fall. Also gonna try it during turkey season if I can.
If there is a situation more ideal for a saddle I can't imagine it!

Hayward

That ll bean setup would be great. You could stuff anything in there. Getting a molle to that point would cost more than worth at $80 that looks like a steal.

Hayward I'm planning a turkey hunt too. I'll open the door and say anyone wants to come let me know, one thing pa has is a good turkey population. I'll likely be using a shotgun for that and no saddle but would be a great dry run for someone new.

You can get real creative depending how comfortable you are sleeping on bare ground, you could make a tyvek tent similar to a kifaru sawtooth pretty easy and dirt cheap. You can treat water with tablets if it's a decent clean source like a spring on mountain stream. You could cook on a home made alcohol stove. This doesn't have to be expensive but usually the lighter stuff costs the most.

My main needs are lighter shelter( currently using an 8lb bass pro 3 man dome) and water filtration. I think I'm going to try sewing a basic floorless shelter this spring for this kind of stuff. We have slept in the woods without any tent before so I think I would be fine with that. I think for now tablets will be the best as far as water. ( the Ozarks have water everywhere!) So far my wife and i have just been doing overnighters so we carry all our water in. My sleeping bag is more bulky than heavy but I can get it into the bottom of my pack so I can live with that.
This really gets me enthused! We have had a lot of fun backpacking over the last year and really adding a gun or bow and my saddle is just another step. Then of course there is meat care in the back country but at least we're not talking elk or moose here!

Hayward

Nice list. You and I use a number of the same items.

Only real difference being I hammock camp instead of a tent (with option to go to the ground if necessary).

I use a Kelty Noah 12 tarp that I can turn into a fully enclosed shelter for winter camping, with a hammock (the name escapes me, ENO Single nest maybe?)
I made my own underquilt and I use an SOL Escape Bivy with a Liner (the name of the liner also escapes me but its tiny). I've been down to about 20* in damp air and was definitely at the lower limit for that setup. In dry air I have gone to 20* no problem. But I am also a hot sleeper. I forget the total weight but it's light, roomy and super compact.

For meals I use "field-stripped" MRE's. I order them individually so I only get the entrees I enjoy and remove everything I don't need. I also dont use a cook set/stove, I just use the packets that come with the meals for heating when I feel like a hot meal. Otherwise you can just eat them cold too.

Most of the East seems to be covered in water, so it's usually not an issue, but if you have that honey hole you want to hunt but can't find a good water source, you can always stash these collapsible water containers in the area before you go hunt. 5 gallon bags are going to be about 40ish pounds when full. and they are pretty durable (but can develop leaks if you are rough in handling them). I use an inline filter on my camelbak but keep tablets too.

Heres the collapsible water container. They can be a God send in drier back country areas.

http://www.thereadystore.com/water-stor ... -container

One of the issues you may run into around the Eastern half of the country, is it seems a lot of places don't allow overnite camping on public hunting lands. Out West that's not an issue. I mean they have rules about length of stay, fires, etc, but it seems to be allowed just about every where. Here in the East that's not the case (as far as I know). I don't know of anywhere I can legally bivouac while hunting. Maybe the Appalachian trail through certain parks that are open to hunting. I don't know all the regs for all the states though, so maybe some do allow it.

Pa is 100% go on state forest ohio I know I see posts of them camping right off the roads in the national forest.

We as hunters should work to change public in the east. I can't imagine many would ever take advantage and the impact would be low.

This mountain I live on has so much water even in dry years you can't use it to your advantage.

We should put together a trip where those of us who are willing to do this could go. Would be a blast. I'm down to travel about anywhere within reason. Alaska is out of my budget boys.

oooooohhhhh I love this topic...

Here's a breakdown of every item by weight for a CO back country elk hunt I did a couple years ago.
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11399

My entire pack weight was just under 50 lbs. That included my bow, arrows, water, 18 lbs of food and the clothes/shoes I had on my back/feet.

Here's a little write up/gear review I did after the hunt. Hope this helps someone.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/80155-CO-gt-Gunnison-gt-Raggeds-Wilderness-Area

Read your story, wondering if you went to CO when I went to OH, during the huricane that pounded NJ, name escapes me.

Difference was, I had a cabin, no running water but I had heat. 7 days, i too left a day early, as I got half way home it became beautiful outside lol.

jlh42581 said:
Read your story, wondering if you went to CO when I went to OH, during the huricane that pounded NJ, name escapes me.

Difference was, I had a cabin, no running water but I had heat. 7 days, i too left a day early, as I got half way home it became beautiful outside lol.

My trip was Sep 2013. We got rained on a LOT. I still had fun, and the scenery was amazing, but I was wet more than I would have liked. When we hiked in we walked across a little stream that may have covered the tops of the toes on my boots. When we crossed the same stream on our way out it was thigh high and a little scary.

That was the same year I went, i went around first week of Nov. I sat in a stand, daylight to dark six days in a row getting pounded by wind/rain/ice, on that 6th day I had enough. I even had a hard to draw salt fork tag in my pocket and that couldnt keep me in Ohio, I was simply sick of it.

First of all.. I am going to create a new forum specifically for backpack hunting/camping because we have so much interest in it. I am going to move this thread there in a couple days.

Guys.. thanks for sharing all of this great info! jlh42581- I would definitely be down for putting together a trip. I am working on putting together the gear for this type of hunt, so I'm not sure if I would be ready by this coming season or not. This last season I did 2 weekends and a long weekend out of state up in NY camping in the state forest during bow season. I did not see one other hunter! This was my first time doing something like this so I basically used most of the gear that I already had and was "car camping". I would find a good spot to park/camp, walk in the required 50 yards from the road and set up the tent. I had such a blast doing this, I knew I was hooked and wanted to get deeper into it. My wife was not such a huge fan when I went off the grid for a couple days (even though I told her I would be lol). She would much appreciate if I had someone to go along with. I also just picked up one of the SPOT devices. That will give her more peace of mind (and it is just a good thing to have. I typically don't worry about myself but you never know what can happen out there).

Eventually I want to do a DIY elk hunt. That is my bucket list hunt. g2- I know you got soaked on that hunt, but it looked pretty amazing. It only makes me want to get out there even more.

As far as doing this here in the east:

NJ- Not allowed on state lands. Although backcounty camping is allowed in the Delaware Water Gap, it is not allowed while hunting. See under the prohibited list here:http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/Hunt2012SR.pdf
NY- Backcountry camping is allowed in state forests: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html
PA- Backcountry camping is allowed in state forests: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/recreation/camping/index.htm&http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_001910.pdf
OH- It looks like it is pretty limited backcountry camping allowed in certain places with permits. Also vehicle camping is allowed in certain areas during hunting season: http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/recreation

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422374449.055353.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422374449.055353.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 345
Awesome, Im not against sharing what gear I can too, like the water filter and or stove, things of that nature, no need to carry two. Ive got a buddy here local thats hard core Ive been trying to get together with for years, big difference is it seems his budget is unlimited, mine not so much.

Like I said, Im willing to go anywhere within reason. Planning to go to Southern Maryland this year, stay at a campground if I have too. 6 hours is about the max id wanna drive and put something together last minute. Ive got enough points to draw Iowa, but im holding off due to lack of planning and seeing how the cards play out another year.

I have family in NE Pa thats about 1 hr from the NY border. I also have family in Anchorage but thats a $700 flight one way.

I'm in for something like a group back country hunt as well. Plus I've done it a couple times so I have a pretty good idea about how to make the most of your time. I'm in upstate NY and would be willing to drive several hours to a suitable location. How cool would it be to have 4 or 5 saddle hunters converge on a remote area for some camping and hunting!

Redsquirrel - You should definitely look into a hammock setup. Especially for hunting in hilly terrain where suitable flat tent ground is in short supply. I've done it both ways, tent and hammock, and I find the hammock to be much more comfortable. Jump on Hammockforums.net and start looking around. Beware, just like saddle hunting, hammocking is addictive.

g2outdoors said:
I'm in for something like a group back country hunt as well. Plus I've done it a couple times so I have a pretty good idea about how to make the most of your time. I'm in upstate NY and would be willing to drive several hours to a suitable location. How cool would it be to have 4 or 5 saddle hunters converge on a remote area for some camping and hunting!

Redsquirrel - You should definitely look into a hammock setup. Especially for hunting in hilly terrain where suitable flat tent ground is in short supply. I've done it both ways, tent and hammock, and I find the hammock to be much more comfortable. Jump on Hammockforums.net and start looking around. Beware, just like saddle hunting, hammocking is addictive.
g2- I'm addressing the hammock issue on the other thread, but that is where I'm leaning.

I think a group of remote saddle hunters sounds awesome! I just happened to get a nice check for my PTO from former employer, I have a few christmas gift cards, and a birthday coming up before the summer so I can probably round out my equipment by the summer. I would like to get a couple easy nights in around home over the summer before we do this.

We got a guy from PA, a guy from NJ and a guy from NY, so I would lean towards doing this in PA or NY for starters. The added advantage of NY is that Sunday hunting is legal.

Back