• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpack mod DIY

Jeffy

Does anybody have any helpful tips/pointers on modding a backpack? Adding in some webbing for molle attachment points, and some extra strapping and buckles for cinch points. How did you go about doing it? Hand sewn or machine? Places where you got your bits and pieces/materials?

Seems like it might pretty difficult to get a sewing machine to be useful in the lower regions of the backpack, so im thinking hand sewn might work?

I am not a sewing pro, i have hand stitched a bunch of patches on my motorcycle/metal vest using some needles from the old ladys junk drawer in the kitchen and some braided fishing line (for strength of course) and they are all doing ok. So i figure for the projects i want to do it might work. Nothing structural and it will be quite tedious but doable maybe?

Input please. Help me make an ok pack much better. Thanks.

Don't you need to know what features you would like before you add them to your pack? Custom tailored is about what is right for you. Did anyone tell you where to sew your patches or did you decide what you like best and do it? I have not done any modifications to my backpack but maybe adding straps to the outside to strap on a jacket would be a good one.

Not looking for suggestions on what to add where, just the methods used to do so. I have the ideas on what i want done, where, and why. Just lacking in the knowledge and skill department of sewing.

Not sure what the pack is, but using paracord loops is a go to for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not looking for suggestions on what to add where, just the methods used to do so. I have the ideas on what i want done, where, and why. Just lacking in the knowledge and skill department of sewing.
In the sewing resources thread on SH, there is information on calculating connection strength based on thread size and number of stitches. Depending on how professional you want this to look, the methods would vary.

You can probably add useful webbing loops along the seams of your bag pretty easily. Then you can attach or remove split bar buckle ends as needed.

Turn your bag inside out and use a seam ripper to temporarily remove the binding from the seam at your desired location. Rip any stitches holding the material together underneath the binding, and insert your folded over webbing into the seam. Pin or clip everything together, and sew it back up.

Get yourself a sewing awl and good quality thread. I use mine for repairing any/every thing.

Does anybody have any helpful tips/pointers on modding a backpack? Adding in some webbing for molle attachment points, and some extra strapping and buckles for cinch points. How did you go about doing it? Hand sewn or machine? Places where you got your bits and pieces/materials?

Seems like it might pretty difficult to get a sewing machine to be useful in the lower regions of the backpack, so im thinking hand sewn might work?

I am not a sewing pro, i have hand stitched a bunch of patches on my motorcycle/metal vest using some needles from the old ladys junk drawer in the kitchen and some braided fishing line (for strength of course) and they are all doing ok. So i figure for the projects i want to do it might work. Nothing structural and it will be quite tedious but doable maybe?

Input please. Help me make an ok pack much better. Thanks.

They make bungee cord loops with the ball end. Like here.

In many different lengths. You can also pull the cord up and tie and knot and cut the excess to shorten them. And you can also remove the ball. These can be girth hitched/zip tied to various attachment points on your pack. You can accomplish about anything with them so long as you have a spot to attach them.

I have a setup where I have a short one with the ball on one side and the bungee cord loop with the ball removed on the other, which attaches to the ball. The long cord stretches over items and secures to the ball on the other side. The ball is wrapped in camo vet tape so it is quiet.

Last edited:
I’m thinking more along the lines of modifying an adjustment strap that is just that with a tension adjustment and making that have a clip involved as well as tightening ability. Along with adding additional flaps sewn on here and there that clip to strategic points on the non sewn end amongst other things. Adding molle rows etc

Tread lightly Jeffy, you are fast on your way to a much larger purchase than some webbing, thread, and needles.

Owning a sewing machine is always preceded by a 'need' to connect some nylon webbing to something else. As for me, I ended up with a circa 1935 Singer treadle machine and it can probably stitch thin plywood together. Other (better) options exist for machines. I recommend you start searching and researching because you will probably be infected with this bug like so many of us.

A speedy stich can be had for a couple bucks and the result will look as professional as you are willing to make it.
For your project, you just need a stout needle, some thread, and a pair of pliers. When you figure out what you want in a pack, you are halfway to discovering MANY other options that you just have to have in your pack and other gear - then you start looking on the web for a machine...

Tread lightly Jeffy, you are fast on your way to a much larger purchase than some webbing, thread, and needles.

Owning a sewing machine is always preceded by a 'need' to connect some nylon webbing to something else. As for me, I ended up with a circa 1935 Singer treadle machine and it can probably stitch thin plywood together. Other (better) options exist for machines. I recommend you start searching and researching because you will probably be infected with this bug like so many of us.

A speedy stich can be had for a couple bucks and the result will look as professional as you are willing to make it.
For your project, you just need a stout needle, some thread, and a pair of pliers. When you figure out what you want in a pack, you are halfway to discovering MANY other options that you just have to have in your pack and other gear - then you start looking on the web for a machine...
Oh great, just what I need, another pocket emptier

Back