• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpack straps -- whatcha use?

Pattywhacker

I've used a pair of XOP straps that came with an older tree stand for the past few years. I've now acquired a few more platforms and liked those straps to carry in my platform with titan straps holding down my sticks but there's gotta be a more budget friendly option vs $20 straps. What does everyone use?

I've used a pair of XOP straps that came with an older tree stand for the past few years. I've now acquired a few more platforms and liked those straps to carry in my platform with titan straps holding down my sticks but there's gotta be a more budget friendly option vs $20 straps. What does everyone use?

Anything under $20 bucks isn't going to be great. I'd look at used military surplus MOLLE pack straps and waist belt.

I made an ultralight set out of 2 stretchy gunslings from walmart and a mod'd tool belt belt....but even those items cost more than 20 bucks new.

To get something under 20, you'd probably have to use webbing and roll your own straps as far as using triglides and such.

Comfortable straps are extremely important to making your stand weigh less. I don't think it is a good place to cut too many corners.

I can't disagree with that. Muddy straps seem to have the lowest cost but the reviews are not favorable. Cabelas used to sell them and I was going to pick a few up with points but they seem to no longer carry them.

I can't disagree with that. Muddy straps seem to have the lowest cost but the reviews are not favorable. Cabelas used to sell them and I was going to pick a few up with points but they seem to no longer carry them.

If you find 2 comfy gun slings at a good price, you can use paracord and tie them on the stand and then make a sternum strap out of something like a big nite ize gear tie

if you already have a sturdy nylon belt, you can do something like melt 2 holes in it in strategic locations and tie to stand with paracord

XOP has a tree stand harness I like. Rather than attaching it directly to the stand, they use fastex buckles on loops, so you can put the loops on as many stands as you want and clip your harness in and out, rather than needing dedicated straps for each harness. Otherwise, I like the MOLLE backpack straps and waist belt for this application.

bought a used lil bear pacl from Alps outdoors... a few years back. To the pack straps off and married it to my saddle molle.

Buy a nice pair of rifle slings from Walmart and attach them on the rails, just like you would a rifle sling swivel. :cool:
Affordable, available and they work great and last for years....unless you leave your stand out in the weather, which I don't. ;)
Mission 4.jpg
Mission 5.jpg

Back