• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

BackPack Structure

BPAUGH777

SH Member
I have a Eberlestock Bandit backpack. I am wondering if anyone has done a DIY mod for any pack to add a little structure to the main compartment. Somthing simple but effective to keep the pack from falling in on itself. Thanks!

The two materials I’ve used:

HDPE plastic sheets
Corrugated plastic used for signs. Cheapest way is to wait for an election and get a sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info! I’ll be looking into it

By chance do you have any photos?

This will give you a basic idea:

They add carbon fiber arrow stays (supports) to increase rigidity.

You can also add aluminum stays to stiffen it further:

Sewing a stave sleeve is probably best, but gluing a sleeve on with epoxy or something might be a viable hack, or even bolting it on.

I have one pack that uses a plain HPDE sheet in a sleeve (the size of the front of the pack, that sits against my back). It isn't very structural but it is light and it helps the bag maintain it's shape.

Last edited:
This will give you a basic idea:

They add carbon fiber arrow stays (supports) to increase rigidity.

You can also add aluminum stays to stiffen it further:

Sewing a stave sleeve is probably best, but gluing a sleeve on with epoxy or something might be a viable hack, or even bolting it on.

I have one pack that uses a plain HPDE sheet in a sleeve (the size of the front of the pack, that sits against my back). It isn't very structural but it is light and it helps the bag maintain it's shape.

I've never tried it, but I bet one could use a series of small rivets to attach a stay sleeve to a frame sheet.

Add a simple "sleeve" along the vertical seams and then drop some broken CF arrows into the sleeve. Super lightweight mod, removable, and if you're like me you probably already have a dozen old/broken arrows you've found or kept.

EDIT: Yeah, what Plebe said. Helps to read all the comments before posting.

Back