• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backup power bank

denots

Does anybody carry a backup power bank when hunting? Since my phone will be my only form of GPS I would like to carry some backup power just in case. I've been looking at several different models, some solar, some not. Figured I'd ask if anybody uses them and if y'all have any recommendations or things to stay away from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've never found one that worked worth a flip. I too rely on my phone for GPS, so I've tried several.

After drowning my last phone on a duck hunt, I told the guy at the Verizon store to hook me up with a long battery-life phone. He handed me a moto-z2. It has some serious juice, like use it all day and have 30-40% left over at the end of the day.

It is also "modular" and can accept various doo-dads mounted to the back of the case. They make a battery bank that supposedly doubles your battery life. I may spring for it, since that would mean I could hunt/browse SaddleHunter all day in the stand.

I had a cheap $20-$30 external case/battery that slid over my iphone. It was annoying so I would leave it in the pack until I got down to about 5%. It would always get me a full charge and then some.
I think it's really important to have at least something to get a little bit of juice for when shtf

My IPhone X lasts me all day long but I keep it in Airplane mode so the transceiver isn’t constantly pinging the tower and waisting battery power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't understand why you'd need to carry an extra brick of battery power. This is a Samsung S6 correct? There are replacement batteries available on Amazon, you just need to do the install or have someone more techy do the install. Have your maps pre-downloaded, use Location only when you are navigating, and keep the phone in Airplane mode (this GREATLY reduces power requirements).

I have a couple different ones. I stayed the entire 4 nights at saddlepalooza and only charged off of my biggest one which still isn't that big. I have a small one about the size of a deck of cards that I keep in my pack for all day hunts. I'm always on daddy duty so I don't want to go into airplane mode to save battery. There are lots of different models on amazon and for some pretty cheap prices.

I have a couple different ones. I stayed the entire 4 nights at saddlepalooza and only charged off of my biggest one which still isn't that big. I have a small one about the size of a deck of cards that I keep in my pack for all day hunts. I'm always on daddy duty so I don't want to go into airplane mode to save battery. There are lots of different models on amazon and for some pretty cheap prices.
Daddy duty is 24/7/365 for life. You’re a good man

Can't understand why you'd need to carry an extra brick of battery power. This is a Samsung S6 correct? There are replacement batteries available on Amazon, you just need to do the install or have someone more techy do the install. Have your maps pre-downloaded, use Location only when you are navigating, and keep the phone in Airplane mode (this GREATLY reduces power requirements).
I may not need to carry an extra brick of power. I don't know, that's why I'm asking the question. I did not know there was extra battery life batteries available for a Samsung. I'm not a tech guy. If you can make a recommendation that would be great. Also the backup power is more of a just in case, than it is a convenience.

Does anybody carry a backup power bank when hunting? Since my phone will be my only form of GPS I would like to carry some backup power just in case. I've been looking at several different models, some solar, some not. Figured I'd ask if anybody uses them and if y'all have any recommendations or things to stay away from.

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-c2-3400-mah-compact-portable-charger/

This thing is awesome, you just use 18650 batteries. You can bring as many batteries as you want to keep charging your electronics. 1 battery in it is good enough for 1.5ish phone recharges. If you want to go on a longer trip just bring more. I also have a super bright headlamp that uses the same batteries, so I can switch between either if necessary. I don't trust electronics much, so if I drain the power bank or my headlamp I have backups.

I need to buy a couple more of these cuz they aren't on Amazon anymore, hopefully they don't stop making them!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I bring an extra flash light, but extra phone power is more important, so yeah, I have a portable charger. I think I can get 3 full charged off of it. I might have to recharge it once or twice a year. I try not to use it or not for very long because I always forget to charge it when I get back. I just need enough battery to use my gps on my phone to get out.
I looked into the solar ones but there are a lot of bad reviews on them. It probably would be good in my case since I don’t use it every day but it will be charging every day if I leave it attached to the outside of my pack.
I’ve had a few different portable chargers. The only one I didn’t like was one you had to shake to turn on. I never knew when it was coming on. It’s good to have a good switch and a status light so you know exactly what’s going on and the remaining power.

I carry one. I have an older phone and the god apps drain my battery FAST. It’s not uncommon for me to be below 50% at the tree from 100% at the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may not need to carry an extra brick of power. I don't know, that's why I'm asking the question. I did not know there was extra battery life batteries available for a Samsung. I'm not a tech guy. If you can make a recommendation that would be great. Also the backup power is more of a just in case, than it is a convenience.

That was a phone with a non-replaceable battery. So they degrade, if yours has seen a lot of use it may have trouble holding a charge long enough to get you through the day. Google gives us some options, like this:

https://www.cellphonerepair.com/common-issues/samsung-galaxy-s6-battery-replacement/

If that's beyond your capabilities, you can probably find a local phone repair place to do it for you.

I use the poseidon charger. It kicks ass. I use it camping, hiking, hunting and even around the house sometimes. I keep an extra in my truck. It’s water proof has 2 USB ports and one is a 2.4 amp. Gets at least 3 charges on a iPhone 7 Plus, I think 6 charges for regular iPhone. You can run a GoPro right from it. This is the best part for me. You can run a GoPro off it forever. So If you run a GoPro in loop mode you can basicly have it run the entire day without changing a battery.
https://home.darkenergy.com/product...MI7tT_qKfD3QIVjVcNCh0S7Qr5EAAYASAAEgKl2fD_BwE

I have 2 that I use. I don’t bring both but I rotate them. I can get at least 3 full recharges out of them. One is like the size of an iPhone 7/8 and the other is like a flip phone size. Gotta have it, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically, I use a low power mode when afield, once I'm at my hunting spot. Kill the GPS, Kill the data connection, kill the back light, and then airplane mode to kill cell. You can cycle the Airplane mode to check for missed phone calls or texts.

I used to struggle with my phone dying when I had various Samsung Galaxy models. I always had to carry extra battery packs. This fall I bought a moto g5 plus. The battery is absolutely awesome and the phone does everything my Samsung's did, and I use my phone for a lot of different stuff at work. The best part is the Moto g5 plus is only $150 brand new.

I gave up on worrying about my phone battery. Garmin gpsmap64 with birds eye takes 2 AA batteries and last days and is way more reliable when you’re way back in swamps. Waterproof too and pretty sturdy.

GPS for any navigation and marking points and places, phone only if I need a higher definition satellite image.

I have an older version of this one

https://www.amazon.com/POWERADD-4GS...=1537273199&sr=1-5&keywords=poweradd+20000mah

Bought mine in 2015 and still works like a charm. Will take this up north for a 3 day weekend and I'm set. If you are getting one, I would suggest one that has a screen that says how much battery life is left. That way you know when you need to charge it and you aren't taking it somewhere expecting a full charge and really having it at 2%.

I also have a garmin 64s with me that I use for navigation, but use my phone for aerials on the fly.

Back