• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bactronix?

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
For years, I've heard radio commercials for Bactronix for mold remediation in buildings. I never gave it much of a thought.
But the other day while in the hardware store, I felt "the urge" coming on. While I was on the throne, I saw a spray bottle of Bactronix on the sink for odor control. Needing something to read, I picked it up, read the label a bit and it sounded interesting as a possible odor eliminator for hunting gear. I assumed it probably had some type of perfume in it so I gave it a whiff...no smell whatsoever. So I went to their web site and saw that they have several products that may be of use to hunters.
One is a laundry additive. The description reminded me a little of a product I used several years ago called BioProtect 500. The stuff worked great. It wasn't just an odor killer like the typical crap on the shelf at a Walmart or Cabelas.
Check out the description in this link. Sounds like a possibility to me.
https://bactronix.com/product/proshieldtm-5000-d-laundry-additive/

Interesting find and should work. $179 a gallon is steep!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Interesting find and should work. $179 a gallon is steep!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
BioProtect 500 was about the same price. A gallon went a long way and, according to the company rep I spoke with, a garment could be washed 25 times. The treatment did have a life span, though. I was told about 3 months.
I don't know if Bactronix has those same traits, but the mode of action sounds exactly the same.
If it works as advertised (and I understand correctly), a few clothing base layers could be treated, and last most, if not all of hunting season. The description sounds like it destroys bacteria cells that pass thru the fabric. If so, then I shouldn't need ALL clothes treated, right? Just a base layer or 2. My gallon of BioProtect 500 lasted me around 3 or 4 years if I remember correctly. Do the math and it isnt that expensive...IF IT WORKS.
Im raking my brain trying to remember which well known hunter uses BioProtect.
Just remembered who it was...
Jim Ward. I believe he had a video about it on his Whitetail Academy. I'll get a link in a minute....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Watch this video from Jim Ward.
From the description of the Bactronix, it sounds like the same mode of action as Bioprotect 500 which Jim demonstrates in this video.
The guy is SERIOUS about odor control.

Back