• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bah’r Grease…

NOTHING makes a better pie crust than bear grease.

Edit: this post made more sense before the picture actually got posted.

Last edited:
For some reason the pictures won’t load.

Excuse my ignorance. Is this just bear fat fried? If so, you just eat it? I have a bear frozen that I've done absolutely nothing with is the reason for the questions.

Excuse my ignorance. Is this just bear fat fried? If so, you just eat it? I have a bear frozen that I've done absolutely nothing with is the reason for the questions.
It is indeed just bear fat. Not fried, exactly. More like slow rolling boiled to render the pure fat out. What's left are "cracklin's" which is jus the connective tissue and some residual fat left over that float to the top. Scoop those out and top with salt and fresh cracked black pepper and eat them alone or put 'em in cornbread mix. The left over fat/grease is left to cool a little then poured through cheese cloth to strain it clean and into jars for future use. This is my first experience with it and it's amazing stuff.

Yes if I get my bear tag next year I will be trying this. Skeptical on the pie crust.

Bear Cracklins are Devine.

Rendered bear fat is the most sought after culinary fat, because it doesn’t impart any flavor. It was essential to traditional French pastry making.

Back