• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bald/shaved head care

We've talked about all kinds of things here... osso bucco recipes to inflatable butt pads to blood trails.

Any of yall bic your domes? If so, what kind of process do you go through to ensure no ingrowns, etc.? Asking for a friend.

My wife said to tell you not to do it. She said it might not grow back at our age. :)

In all seriousness I don’t “bic” it often but friends that do say they use a higher quality razor, a decent gel/moisturizing combo product, and try to do it once a week.

Personally I just do no guard on a trimmer once a week. If you go either route it likely won’t be an issue of it not growing back that keeps you doing it, or that isn’t the root (see what I did there?) cause anyway, at least in my experience. It’s just easier to deal with, takes little time, and people will tell you how great it looks on you and offer you modeling contracts you are forced to turn down so you can spend more time in the woods.

You’re getting old boss. Handle your hair and your other business however you want and don’t sweat an ingrown hair if it happens. Even the Mona Lisa is fallin’ apart.

Here’s my very limited experience. In high school I shaved my head for a month to play a character for drama club. Yellow Bic razor, Barbasol, cuts and bleeding everywhere, it hurt, and it sucked.

Fast forward. For the past year I’ve been buzzing my head because, well, some win the follicle gene lottery and some don’t. Today I used OGX conditioner and a Harry’s razor per this dude’s advice. It was super easy and painless except for one time I knowingly got too aggressive and cut myself.

I’ll probably shave my dome like this more over the summer or ahead of vacation. I love having a no-guard fresh buzz but it needs buzzed again every week. Shaving smooth hopefully will prolong that for multi-week trips.

Love it. Thank you guys. For those that do, do you alter your routine during the hunting season

Meaning, what about hats? Seems to me shaving your head and then wearing a hat around for hours would increase the likelihood of ingrowns. What about oils or creams you may have used all year long? Still use them or do you go with some homemade acorn oil?

Today I used OGX conditioner and a Harry’s razor per this dude’s advice.
Bro I LITERALLY just watched this guy 10 minutes ago. :hearteyes: Looked like a good technique!

I shaved my head a couple years ago every day for about a full year. Used a 3 blade Gillette. During that time I had a lot of ingrowns. Ended up giving out up because my head didn't want it.

I'm giving it another go now though. First shave was on Sunday. After watching that video I'm definitely going to give conditioner a try.

I have to shave every two or three days or my head starts to grey. The grey really catches the light!

Gillet razor and Barbasol shaving cream.

My hair was thinning a bit and I saw the writing on the wall. I didn’t want to see anymore of what was to come and I didn’t fancy a combover so, cold turkey.
No regrets. It only take a few days and everyone is used to it.
Its been 20 years.

Been shaving my head for years. Started with soap in the shower and a 5 blade razor. Way too many times of cutting myself that way. Bought a cheap 5 head palm shaver and it lasted about 6 months before the blades were dull. Been using a Braun cordless for over a year now. It takes a bit longer, but is well worth it imo. The only advise I can give for the colder months is this. If you shave your head and then expect a beanie to stay in place you will be disappointed. It will ride up your head faster than a thong up a strippers crack!!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I use a Gillette fusion with 5 blades. The sharper the better, and it gets shaved every other day rather that every day. Nothing beats a good sharp razor. I've used the palm shavers but they just don't get close enough. If I still use one, it's after buzzing with clippers and no guard just to knock it down before I hit it with a razor. Nothing beats a good sharp 5 blade in my opinion.

Edge gel seems to make me get more bumps, breakouts, ingrowns, etc. I have used hair conditioner with good success, but have come to like the Cremo shave creme linked below. Stays slick and gives a close shave. I shave it in the shower after it's good and steamy so the pores are opened a bit better than standing at the sink and doing it.

As soon as I get out of the shower I pat dry with a towel and apply either a lotion with Shea butter or cocoa butter (Palmers or jergens) to get rid of the dry skin.

During hunting season I don't shave it as often. Pulling a fleece or knit beanie off of stubble SUCKS. So I let it grow out just a bit and won't shave again till I know I won't be hunting for a couple days.

I do notice that if I let it go for awhile, I may get a few bumps the first week but keeping up with shaving it every other day makes them go away in time.

BT

Heck, at my age I don't even shave my face anymore let alone my head. :tearsofjoy: Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the beard although I let it grow during deer season. Those unguarded clippers are my face's best friend. I've been lucky enough to get to this point in my life with a reasonable head of hair so I'm hesitant to start shaving it for fear I'll never get it back if I want to.

I have had the discussion with the wife trying to prepare her for the inevitable day I start clipping the top of my head too. To say she's been unimpressed with the idea would be an understatement . . . wait, is that an incentive or what?:tearsofjoy:

I use a Gillette fusion with 5 blades. The sharper the better, and it gets shaved every other day rather that every day. Nothing beats a good sharp razor. I've used the palm shavers but they just don't get close enough. If I still use one, it's after buzzing with clippers and no guard just to knock it down before I hit it with a razor. Nothing beats a good sharp 5 blade in my opinion.

Edge gel seems to make me get more bumps, breakouts, ingrowns, etc. I have used hair conditioner with good success, but have come to like the Cremo shave creme linked below. Stays slick and gives a close shave. I shave it in the shower after it's good and steamy so the pores are opened a bit better than standing at the sink and doing it.

As soon as I get out of the shower I pat dry with a towel and apply either a lotion with Shea butter or cocoa butter (Palmers or jergens) to get rid of the dry skin.

During hunting season I don't shave it as often. Pulling a fleece or knit beanie off of stubble SUCKS. So I let it grow out just a bit and won't shave again till I know I won't be hunting for a couple days.

I do notice that if I let it go for awhile, I may get a few bumps the first week but keeping up with shaving it every other day makes them go away in time.

BT
2X on this Cremo. I can say it is wonderful for shaving your face.

Back