• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Barren Ridge saddle climber.....anyone use?

Alaska at Heart

I saw one of these on another forum classified and looked it up (link below). Just wondering if anyone has tested or hunted from one of theses? In theory, it looks a bit interesting, but I can also envision some significant potential issues.

I saw one of these on another forum classified and looked it up (link below). Just wondering if anyone has tested or hunted from one of theses? In theory, it looks a bit interesting, but I can also envision some significant potential issues.

I own one. It’s light and folds flat but it’s not the answer you are looking for in my opinion. I don’t like adjusting the pins. It doesn’t handle side pressure very well and it severely limits the size trees you can climb

The one I have, that JoyRyd gave me, is the same as the one in the link posted above and does not fold up. Admitedly I had to do several mods to it to make it useable for me, and to silence it, but I believe now it will be another good tool. After reaching hunting height, using the leg loop around the tree helps immensly to keep it from moving under side pressure. With the 4 foot cable that comes standard with it, you are limited in tree size. I've ordered the 3 and 5 foot cables to help remedy this on smaller and larger trees. Just finished the mods, so it'll be next season before I can try it actually hunting. But as I said, at this time I think it will be another usefull tool in addition to sticks and ropes.

Would I pay the full purchase price knowing what I know, maybe not. there may be better options for climbing stands coming. I'de probably wait and see what else is available or coming soon

Last edited:
The one I have, that JoyRyd gave me, is the same as the one in the link posted above and does not fold up. Admitedly I had to do several mods to it to make it useable for me, and to silence it, but I believe now it will be another good tool. After reaching hunting height, using the leg loop around the tree helps immensly to keep it from moving under side pressure. With the 4 foot cable that comes standard with it, you are limited in tree size. I've ordered the 3 and 5 foot cables to help remedy this on smaller and larger trees. Just finished the mods, so it'll be next season before I can try it actually hunting. But as I said, at this time I think it will be another usefull tool in addition to sticks and ropes.

Would I pay the full purchase price knowing what I know, maybe not. there may be better options for climbing stands coming. I'de probably wait and see what else is available or coming soon
Do you carry all three cable lenghts with you on a given hunt to maks ure you are set on a suitable tree diameter? That was a big question marke for me. With the cinch strap, you feel it is stableenough to recommend?

Carry all three cables?? Depends, and remember I havn't had it in the woods hunting, here's my plan. If I have scouted and found a tree, then I'll know which cable fits the tree I want to get up. If I'm going in cold then I'll carry all three. The cables are light a relatively small and compact, easily fit into a pack.

With the leg strap secured I feel confident to get on either side of the platform. However, I always carry a cam strap that I could use as an additional securing device if for some reason I need it

One thing I really like about this climbing stand is it's small and light weight, and primarily once you get to hunting height there are no cables to remve or additional things to do in order to hunt or configure the stand. Because it's one piece, welded aluminum simply secure it to the tree and start hunting

Be prepared and be safe

Back