• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bashlin Pad Recommendations

neonmasters

Bashlin spur users. What pads do you prefer?
I have just the leather L pads with a nylon strap/buckles mod. The nylon buckles work well for the bottom strap and the top works well with jeans/pants. Wearing Lacrosse tall rubber boots, the pad and boot wants to twist. That sends the shank off the back of your leg. Wesspur says the “Cadillac” pads won’t fit. What are you guys using?

I have a pair of Kleins with Bashlin pads. They are the Bashlin 140 DS pads. They are pretty comfortable so far. Are the Cadillac the aluminum body pads with foam on the inside? If so they are real noisy.

Yes Caddies are the cast aluminum with black foam rubber padding. They are noisy on my Bashlin aluminum when they’re rattling around in the bag, they get quieter when the straps are tightened on my legs, and a little tape in the right spots will make the top of the sleeve fit tighter, and probably eliminate the rattling completely.

Thanks for the replies. The 140DS pads look like an affordable option to replace the 130 “L” pads that I have now. They appear to have a better sleeve to contain the shank in place. I hate shelling out $225 for a set of pads for a 3 minute climb and rappel out.

I’m not sure you’ll see much difference in comfort with those once they break in a little. The most comfortable pads out there are rigid, either the cast aluminum caddies or other padding with an aluminum or steel shin cup insert.

Agree, that’s a bit of cash for something only seeing a couple hours use per year.

Try a pair of plastic soccer shin guards. Just strap them on so they’re sideways and they cover where the top of the sleeve rubs your leg. I’ve seen a few working climbers do that before. Pretty inexpensive, possibly find a pair at a thrift store.

Back