• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Basic question regarding broadhead weight and total arrow weight

HaunSolo

SH Member
Hi all,

I'm getting back into compound bow hunting this'll year after using a crossbow since '18. My brother let me have his old Mission UX2, it's in great shape. I went today to my local pro shop and he set me up with (6)Easton 6.5 Carbon arrows(400 spine) and he recommended 100 grain G5 Montecs, which I bought.

I'm shooting 55lb. draw weight with a 29" draw length and 30" arrow. With the Montec's my total arrow weight is 381 grains. I'm thinking about purchasing some 150 grain Magnus stingers instead which would push my total arrow weight to 431 grains.

I'll be hunting whitetail and I will not shoot beyond 30 yards. What would you do? Stick with the Montecs or grab some 150 grain Magnus instead?

I feel stupid buying the Montecs and not using them but I'd rather feel stupid now than later when it counts.

Last edited:
either one will kill a deer just fine....i'd probably get 125 grain QAD Exodus broadheads

they're tougher than Stingers and you can replace the blades to avoid sharpening

Hi all,

I'm getting back into compound bow hunting this'll year after using a crossbow since '18. My brother let me have his old Mission UX2, it's in great shape. I went today to my local pro shop and he set me up with (6)Easton 6.5 Carbon arrows(400 spine) and he recommended 100 grain G5 Montecs, which I bought.

I'm shooting 55lb. draw weight with a 29" draw length and 30" arrow. With the Montec's my total arrow weight is 381 grains. I'm thinking about purchasing some 150 grain Magnus stingers instead which would push my total arrow weight to 431 grains.

I'll be hunting whitetail and I will not shoot beyond 30 yards. What would you do? Stick with the Montecs or grab some 150 grain Magnus instead?

I feel stupid buying the Montecs and not using them but I'd rather feel stupid now than later when it counts.
You should test both weights and use the one that flies straight and more accurately. Don’t worry about the weight. The bow and the broadheads will show you which one to use. Shoot them at twenty and thirty and forty. It will be very noticeable. Then nock tune them also for that last little bit of accuracy and stability.

i wouldn't touch it then, especially this close to the season starting
Agree with Raisins. If it’s shooting well, get out and shoot as much as you can and focus on getting your form right and practice your shots out to 30. A good flying arrow is more important than a heavy one, especially this close to the season.

Thanks for the input guys, you are giving me some reassurance about my decision.

I ran this through an app and I believe you are already on the weak side for spine, I wouldn’t recommend a heavier point weight because if I have the config correct that is most definitely underspined. I would probably use the setup this season but longer term build a little heavier arrow. Most important, not sure if the arrows are flying like lasers with field points or with broadheads, but make sure it’s with broadheads. I’ll echo a comment above the QAD Exodus is one Id consider if switching.

I ran this through an app and I believe you are already on the weak side for spine, I wouldn’t recommend a heavier point weight because if I have the config correct that is most definitely underspined. I would probably use the setup this season but longer term build a little heavier arrow. Most important, not sure if the arrows are flying like lasers with field points or with broadheads, but make sure it’s with broadheads. I’ll echo a comment above the QAD Exodus is one Id consider if switching.

Can I ask what app you are using?

Good arrow flight and sharp broadhead. Don't shoot them into the target, and then load them into your quiver. They need to be sharpened of you do that.

This is what it shows for your approx config. The blade angle of Montecs will never allow them to be crazy sharp, but the good things about them is they fly great and are very easy to resharpen after target shooting.

A 340 spine arrow (at you current draw weight specs) is about optimal with 125-150 grains out front.

Attachments

• BF16A14F-B30A-450E-A915-37ECA5FC7341.jpeg
    BF16A14F-B30A-450E-A915-37ECA5FC7341.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 33
Montecs are a super solid broadhead. I’ve used them for 2 seasons now. easy to sharpen as well, I’ve put the same broadhead through 2 deer. Just run it across a sharpening stone and get it back to cutting paper.

it would be fine for me because I cut 1 inch in front of rest

my arrow at 30 inch draw is shorter than his

Thanks for all the replies, I am stoked for deer season. I'm going for my first saddle buck and my first compound deer.

This is what it shows for your approx config. The blade angle of Montecs will never allow them to be crazy sharp, but the good things about them is they fly great and are very easy to resharpen after target shooting.

A 340 spine arrow (at you current draw weight specs) is about optimal with 125-150 grains out front.
where is this picture from?

Back