• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beal Kevlar 5.5 vs Sterling TRC 6mm

bfriendly

1st off Beal and Beal jammy? If I figured it out right, the jammy is just the same cord, but a specific length with sewn eyes? Anyway its confusing……if I’m right then it WAS confusing.

My first setup started with the Beal for my prussik and it’s been flawless. It gets nice and warm after a rappel, but so far seems to show no signs of wear and tear, none. I got the TRC and was gonna switch it up, and use with my new resctech. But after looking at 3 prussik loops I have made up with the Beal I am asking myself why? That Beal line is Beast! Maybe I’m just trying to spend money I don’t have?
THe ratings on EWO are in different terms, can someone tell me which line is stronger? I’m not sure anymore.

You said with your new RescTech, so what rope had you been using the Beal cord for?

EWO’s page for Beal Kevlar 5.5 says it’s the same material used for the Beal Jammy, just black.

You said with your new RescTech, so what rope had you been using the Beal cord for?

EWO’s page for Beal Kevlar 5.5 says it’s the same material used for the Beal Jammy, just black.
I was using the canyon elite(loved it BTW). I did make a tether out of the elite, but I kinda of trashed it on some nasty trees. No wear, just real dirty.

Just having a tough time justifying the switch from the Beal now. And so far I haven’t implemented the TRC

The Beal’s polyester cover grabs better than the Technora cover of TRC, especially on a host rope with a Technora cover, you may have to add a wrap. Both grab better if the cover is relaxed some by trapping extra cover in the cord, allowing the core to bend easier and flatten more.

I picked up some 6mm PMI accessory cord for my C-IV. I'm toying with getting some of the Beal Cordlette material from EWO. Can anyone comment on the Jammy or Cordlette material on C-IV? On paper it seems maybe .5mm too small, but is it really?

I picked up some 6mm PMI accessory cord for my C-IV. I'm toying with getting some of the Beal Cordlette material from EWO. Can anyone comment on the Jammy or Cordlette material on C-IV? On paper it seems maybe .5mm too small, but is it really?
I doubt it’s too small as even recommended ratio is a range.
id like to know which is stronger though.
TRC KN 15.5
Beal daN 1800
Is the Beal stronger?

The 18 kN break strength is for Beals dyneema core 5.5mm cord, the Kevlar is only 15 kN.
I got mine from EWO and I think it’s listed as Beal Kevlar 5.5 with the 18daN rating. I just couldn’t wait to replace it with the TRC, never really knowing why. When I took my Beal loop off the resctech, I really questioned my motivation and put it back on. I have 3 of these loops that could last me a lifetime.
I am gonna try the TRC when I use the ascender hitch and SRT…..probably get more resctech for that too.

Ok so this is from the Beal website….cool! Thanks for digging this up Brocky!
I absolutely love the cord……and it makes me feel safe !

My apologies in advance for the rookie question but I'm a bit lost in the rope /friction hitch discussions. I have beal 5.5 kevlar for friction hitch and am using on RescTech. Seems to work fine when I test it but everything I read says use the 6mm Sterling TRC. Any problem with the 5.5 Beal kevlar on this rope? Again, my apologies if it is in this thread - I read through again and just couldn't clearly tell. Thanks in advance!

My apologies in advance for the rookie question but I'm a bit lost in the rope /friction hitch discussions. I have beal 5.5 kevlar for friction hitch and am using on RescTech. Seems to work fine when I test it but everything I read says use the 6mm Sterling TRC. Any problem with the 5.5 Beal kevlar on this rope? Again, my apologies if it is in this thread - I read through again and just couldn't clearly tell. Thanks in advance!
No problems to use it on resctech, you’re good!

Back