• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beast seat on Novix helo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyChappy

SH Member
Just posted this on THB and figured I’d share with those of you interested. Dissatisfaction with the seat size on the helo has been well-documented (here and elsewhere). The overall complaint (mine included) is that it is disproportionately large, relative to the platform’s size.

I went a little nuts and bought a scratch and dent beast seat and swapped it out. I’m quite happy with how it turned out. See below for details:

1. The helo seat with pad weighed 2.2lbs on my scale. The beast seat with all hardware but no cushion weighed 14.784 ounces (0.924lbs). So this mod will cut your weight by 1 pound, which brings a budget stand ($190 when I bought it), into the 8lb club. For many, the price of the seat won’t be worth it for the weight of a water bottle, but for me it was (see #3 below).

2. The seat fit great no problem. The only “issue” is the welded tab on the seat for the leveling function; it lines up exactly on the end of the stand platform. This means it cannot fold entirely flat when the seat is folded down in transport. It’s a non issue for me because I always run it in shelf-mode while it’s on my back.

3. What I personally like most is how much more appropriate the size of this seat is for the platform size. Yes, I’m peculiar.

All in all, fully loaded with stealth strips, a turret bow holder (~0.4lbs), and shoulder straps (0.572lbs), the stand is 9.3lbs on my scale. Add one cam buckle and it’s 9.7 completely hunt ready (minus a seat cushion, which I do not have yet).

I run just two beast sticks with aiders that weigh 2.0lbs each (which gets me to a max height of 18’). So total carry weight is 13.7lbs plus or minus an ounce or two.
84ff279d2dd5b4588e2bd4a0c2bf2b5f.jpg

a909c972d06e011ca4f14bb1bd328e8e.jpg

e865a29ca067a5328ccdd241a8ce616b.jpg

I hope Novix pays attention to this complaint. Seat looks great.

I have emailed them about releasing a smaller stand or smaller sized seat and this was their response:

“Ethan,
Glad you like your Helo. We do not do custom product importunely, I
Right now it would be to costly.
As far as a lighter stand, right now we have no plans, but all I can say is we are
Always thinking of new innovation. Thanks for your support.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back