• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beast sticks and Amsteel

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
OK after having thoroughly testing the Beast Sticks with Amsteel I would not recommend that modification. The problem I encountered is that the Beast tree bracket sets the sticks very tight once weight is applied. And then getting the 2 half hitches loose at the end of the hunt is a royal pain in the rear. The tubing is just too narrow (1 inch) and the knots are far too close to the versa button making it extremely difficult. So for those considering buying the beast with plans on modifying to use amsteel….. just pointing this out. I literally have to force the stick up to get enough slack in the rope most of the time - and this makes a ton of noise and is very frustrating in the dark. So for me, I recommend going with the straps or use one of the daisy chain strap options (personally, i am going back to the straps on the Beast sticks). Helium's don't have this problem as bad as the stick is wider and keeps the knot further away from the versa buttons.

Last edited:
Would the Amsteel Daisy Chain also have the same problem or is it solely the knot causing the problem?

I've run into the same problem on LW sticks occasionally (where the hitch knot was cinched too tight to untie). Good thing you noticed now instead of winter when your fingers freeze in 20 seconds.

I have had this happen to me before. What I did was tie my knot as a slip knot. It makes it much easier to get them off.

I can't imagine paying $80 for a stick....AND then having to modify it!!
No reason to modify. They are fine just the way the are. I tried Versa Straps but think I’m going back to the good ole’ fashioned buckle strap. Can’t beat it for ease of use and ability to get everything nice and tight. The sticks are already super light so an extra few ounces for the buckle is very minor.

Going to try versa straps this year. We'll see how it goes. Did you test a buckle-less strap (see video)?

Back