• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ben Pearson Jet Bow - thoughts?

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
So I’ve never dabbled in the trad thing. I have a hard enough time getting deer on the ground with a compound. But I picked up a Ben Pearson Jet Bow for $2.50 at a thrift store, so I guess here we go. I have a few questions that I know I could probably find the answer to if I dug for 40 hours, but I’m wondering if you guys can save me 39 hours and 45 minutes..

1) Are these bows only for backyard shooting or is it a viable hunting option? It’s a 50 lb bow.
2) It needs a new string. Where should I start?
3) Should I bother with practicing with this thing? Or should I get into a better beginner setup like a samick sage if I would like to hunt with a trad bow next year?

I have an old Ben Pearson Colt recurve I shoot a fair amount. The indicated poundage on my bow is less since I think the limbs have weakened with time. As long as there's no delaminating or weird thud or flat feeling when shooting, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I got my string at the local bow shop, it's an endless loop b55 I think. 3Rivers Archery is a good place to go too, there's tutorials on there how to measure your string length. I don't use it hunting just because it's kind of big and clumsy but it would definitely be a feasible option.
I'd probably buy it off ya for double the price you paid if you'd want to sell it :)
Edit: So I looked up the "Jet" and realized one of my friends has one of these, he found it in his basement of a house he'd bought. They're pretty neat old bows and ambidextrous I think?? Anyways, I think it would be pretty cool to take an animal with a $2.50 thrift store bow so I say go for it. Keep an eye on the fiberglass though for any strands popping up!

Last edited:
1: if it’s in good shooting condition and safe to shoot it’s definitely a viable hunting option.
2: look up Allen at ten ring strings. He’s very good
3: I don’t know if a sage would be better than that bow. But 50 lb is a lot to start with.

1: if it’s in good shooting condition and safe to shoot it’s definitely a viable hunting option.
2: look up Allen at ten ring strings. He’s very good
3: I don’t know if a sage would be better than that bow. But 50 lb is a lot to start with.

I'll 2nd that Looking up Allen with Ten Ring Strings.

Back