• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bent D rings/wraptor

kenn1320

Ordered fusion aluminum rings to build a sling style wraptor type saddle. Ive read where people want to get rid of the heavy rings. Not sure if I bought the right ones, these are super light in the hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201228-223949_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201228-223949_Gallery.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 87
That’s what looks to come on the Tethrd ESS and there is also a smaller straight version that fusion offers both will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it was the weight, but the size, that was the issue. There is no need for such a large ring in this type of application. The upper and lower parts of the curved ring serve no purpose for the bridge, as the bridge is always 180 degrees away from where the webbing goes through the slots (because the webbing is self adjusting there, thus the bridge is always centered). This is why the Anderson just had an oval ring - no matter where you put the panels the forces oppose each other through the ring.

Additionally, more metal means more chance of metal noises with the other D-ring, carabiners, sticks, etc. I have not heard anything from ESS or Eberhart stating why they went with the larger ring. Further, I have not seen anything from ESS or Eberhart stating any advantage of the bent D-ring compared to the smaller fusion D-ring. There have been many on here which have made a wraptor/Anderson style sling using the smaller fusion rings. Treehopper designed its own rubber coated metal plate for this application.

I'm not sure it was the weight, but the size, that was the issue. There is no need for such a large ring in this type of application. The upper and lower parts of the curved ring serve no purpose for the bridge, as the bridge is always 180 degrees away from where the webbing goes through the slots (because the webbing is self adjusting there, thus the bridge is always centered). This is why the Anderson just had an oval ring - no matter where you put the panels the forces oppose each other through the ring.

Additionally, more metal means more chance of metal noises with the other D-ring, carabiners, sticks, etc. I have not heard anything from ESS or Eberhart stating why they went with the larger ring. Further, I have not seen anything from ESS or Eberhart stating any advantage of the bent D-ring compared to the smaller fusion D-ring. There have been many on here which have made a wraptor/Anderson style sling using the smaller fusion rings. Treehopper designed its own rubber coated metal plate for this application.
The only reason I went with bent, is you get extra width for a few extra dollars. Anything to increase the V is worth it to my big hips.

Nothing wrong with those rings and the discussion on noise is overblown, never an issue on the Wraptors I have made, and I have never wrapped mine with tape or anything.

Back