• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bent Wild Edge Stepp

inarcher711

SH Member
I apparently over cammed one of my stepps. Any issues straightening and still using it? I will mark it and only use it as my 1st stepp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post a pic?! How bad is it? I try my hardest to cam it over as tight as I can. Can’t inagine bending it! Guess I need to be cautious

I’ve bent several over the years. I bend them back and reuse. I’ve noticed no ill effects. If you bent it to the point of creasing the metal I would definitely retire it.

I’ve bent them on really hard barked trees where both standoffs don’t get a bite - just one does and all the force is on one. It’s usually happened at night when I couldn’t see great.

I talked to Andrew (Wildedgeinc) 3 years ago about this. I had cammed over to hard and bent a couple. He said to just bend them back that they are still good to go. I did as he said and have used them ever since with no problems.

I will try to get pics tonight. Didn’t notice any stress, broken weld, etc.
Gonna bring it to work and straighten and go from there. Thanks for the replies!

I will try to get pics tonight. Didn’t notice any stress, broken weld, etc.
Gonna bring it to work and straighten and go from there. Thanks for the replies!

If you didn't notice any cracking or creasing, it is probably fine. Remember, it had to get bent to be made.

Didn’t think of this but I guess your right. Didn’t realize it was as common as it is. Glad to hear there’s no issues.

d190ded72d190d5510f866dd59dc4ef6.jpg

Bent stepp is closest to the bottom of the pic.

it can also happen if you are not careful and run the rope over the top of the standoff, rather than under it. "replying for a friend" lol

I also just bent it back and designated it for the bottom, until I noticed I was using it as my platform yesterday DOH! (I had grabbed the top three steps from the bag because I went back to using my Leverage 3 step sticks to climb)

Bent it back at work today. Just checked it. Works like new. Thanks for the replies!

Well, add me to the I bent the crap out of a WE Step crowd. No idea how I did it. Went to use it this morning and I could not get it to cam over. Then I noticed why. I guess I have to be a bit more careful and not cam it too tight. The only other thing I can think of is that I did not have both legs against a tree the last time while camming it over. I bet if you just have one leg against the tree, it will bend.

Back