• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Besides Ropeman1 and Prussiks

Fuse Dude

Besides Ropeman1 and Prussiks, what are the preferred knot alternatives as well as preferred tenders?

I loaded up my Prussiks yesterday and they got really tight, and thought maybe a tender pulley might be in order. I read on an arborist forum the Prussik shouldn't be the on loading mechanism whilst in the tree, there are exceptions.

Thanks in advance!

PS Notch 4D works great with tether and linesman belt

I prefer either the Schwabisch Hitch or the Distel Hitch over a Prussick, especially if you want to be able to adjust them easily after being weighted. As for the tender - a simply figure 8 of paracord works great.

QUOTE="CharlieTN, post: 493294, member: 9121"]
I prefer either the Schwabisch Hitch or the Distel Hitch over a Prussick, especially if you want to be able to adjust them easily after being weighted. As for the tender - a simply figure 8 of paracord works great.
[/QUOTE]

Regarding the figure 8, I take it as above and below the "hitch" knot? Do you have enough slack for two or four fingers to pull it along, ie what's your preference?

Thank you

Regarding the figure 8, I take it as above and below the "hitch" knot? Do you have enough slack for two or four fingers to pull it along, ie what's your preference?

Thank you

Let me see if I can describe it. It’s just a piece of paracord tied into a “figure-8 shape”. One of the loops goes onto your carabiner between the two ends of the Schwabisch or Distel hitches where they attach to the carabiner. The other goes on your tether below where the hitch is tied onto the tether. You grab the loose end of your tether and pull it out and away from you and it will pull the friction hitch into the paracord loop pushing the hitch forward. To loosen the hitch you simply grab the knot and slide it down. That is one of the reasons I like the Schwabisch and Distel hitches. They will loosen fairly easily with one hand when you need them too.

Let me see if I can describe it. It’s just a piece of paracord tied into a “figure-8 shape”. One of the loops goes onto your carabiner between the two ends of the Schwabisch or Distel hitches where they attach to the carabiner. The other goes on your tether below where the hitch is tied onto the tether. You grab the loose end of your tether and pull it out and away from you and it will pull the friction hitch into the paracord loop pushing the hitch forward. To loosen the hitch you simply grab the knot and slide it down. That is one of the reasons I like the Schwabisch and Distel hitches. They will loosen fairly easily with one hand when you need them too.
Thanks for the wisdom!

Besides Ropeman1 and Prussiks, what are the preferred knot alternatives as well as preferred tenders?

I loaded up my Prussiks yesterday and they got really tight, and thought maybe a tender pulley might be in order. I read on an arborist forum the Prussik shouldn't be the on loading mechanism whilst in the tree, there are exceptions.

Thanks in advance!

PS Notch 4D works great with tether and linesman belt
Another possibility you can check into is the M.C. Hitch aka Cornell Hitch. Slides easily is self tending, that is to say it needs no tender for one handed operation. I have new 8' oplux on the way with 6" sewn eye, also 20' of TRC, so I am going to try this myself. I will let you know how it goes.
God Bless, good hunting, stay safe.

Another possibility you can check into is the M.C. Hitch aka Cornell Hitch. Slides easily is self tending, that is to say it needs no tender for one handed operation. I have new 8' oplux on the way with 6" sewn eye, also 20' of TRC, so I am going to try this myself. I will let you know how it goes.
God Bless, good hunting, stay safe.

I like the idea of self tending, but i feel certain there's a trade off, maybe safety wise due to a minor brain fart. I'll research and proceed accordingly!

Thank you sir!

I like the idea of self tending, but i feel certain there's a trade off, maybe safety wise due to a minor brain fart. I'll research and proceed accordingly!

Thank you sir!

The main safety thing for me is that hitches that tend easily also move down easily if you happen to take weight off, grab it, and lean back. You could take a ride to the end of the tether (and should hit your stopper knot or termination back to the carabiner).

I like having to work a bit to get the friction hitch to move. You can accomplish this by trying different hitch knots, different thickness of hitch cord, and increasing number of wraps. I am currently using a distel hitch with an extra wrap, and it doesn't tend easily, but I like that.

Last edited:
The main safety thing for me is that hitches that tend easily also move down easily if you happen to take weight off, grab it, and lean back. You could take a ride to the end of the tether (and should hit your stopper knot or termination back to the carabiner).

I like having to work a bit to get the friction hitch to move. You can accomplish this by trying different hitch knots, different thickness of hitch cord, and increasing number of wraps. I am currently using a distel hitch with an extra wrap, and it doesn't tend easily, but I like that.

Yeah I am using the Muddy tether ropes, carabiners, and prussik, so given some time and money maybe I'll explore ropes next. That said with a new little one moving around, both time and money are on short order.

Is there a consensus on ropes, types, diameters based on the application by saddle hunters?

I kinda want it to be a one and done purchase for this stuff and not tinker to much with it.

Back