• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best badlands pack for saddle hunting

Just for platform and sticks you I'd go with Pursuit or Eastern. Are you wanting to buy new? They have lots of discontinued models that would work as well.

Here's my Pursuit. Platform fits perfectly inside the largest compartment.
552f8764b554520d529cceee1b771814.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just picked up a Timber with the 50% off code. It is designed for stand (saddle) hunting. I have not used it yet but is looks well made and well thought out. A couple of the reviews on the Badlands site are from saddle users and they like the design.

I just picked up a Timber with the 50% off code. It is designed for stand (saddle) hunting. I have not used it yet but is looks well made and well thought out. A couple of the reviews on the Badlands site are from saddle users and they like the design.

Do the gear straps on the back of it look wide/sturdy enough to hold a bag of 8 WE stepps? I've been looking at that pack and just haven't brought myself to pull the trigger on it yet.

I use the badlands super day pack it has plenty of room to store wild edge steps in main compartment while still leaving room for other hunting gear and the rear strap system holds my ridge runner super tight to the pack. No noise and all the weight stays against your back.

Do the gear straps on the back of it look wide/sturdy enough to hold a bag of 8 WE stepps? I've been looking at that pack and just haven't brought myself to pull the trigger on it yet.
They seem pretty sturdy and I believe they are designed to hold sticks. I don't know the dimensions of the WE 8-step bag to definitively answer your question.

If you don’t pack meat out, I think the pursuit is perfect for saddle hunting. I put my predator and accessory stuff in the large compartment. Kill kit in the smaller compartments and my camera arm (if I’m taking it with me) strapped to the pack like the sticks. I carry my helium’s or my WE steps with a strap over my shoulder.

Pursuit. It's under 2 lbs. IMO, if you are not hauling meat there is no reason to carry a heavy pack.

I didn’t much care for the pockets and access to the main pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t pack meat out, I think the pursuit is perfect for saddle hunting. I put my predator and accessory stuff in the large compartment. Kill kit in the smaller compartments and my camera arm (if I’m taking it with me) strapped to the pack like the sticks. I carry my helium’s or my WE steps with a strap over my shoulder.
This is what I’m thinking as well, I haven’t seen any cons yet so I’m still leaning towards the pursuit.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Got a bunch of good ideas for packing in platform and sticks.

I strongly recommend looking at the diablo dos if you haven’t pulled the trigger already. This is my first year in the saddle but I couldn’t imagine using another pack (as long as you’re not packing meat). I strap my sticks and platform to the front of it and my sys hangs off the mole loops on the waist belt. When I get to the tree, I pull off the sticks and platform, attach my bow to the back of the pack, hang the sticks off my saddle and then slide my platform into the ventilation gap between my back and the pack (pictured).
I’ve never seen a pack that allows you to keep the platform so accessible.
I climb up, and when I get to hunting height I can reach behind me, without taking off the pack and grab the platform. Hang my gear strap, take off my backpack and then unhook my bow. One super easy trip.
c95a7e1e89a8e04e9638754836f845c7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I strongly recommend looking at the diablo dos if you haven’t pulled the trigger already. This is my first year in the saddle but I couldn’t imagine using another pack (as long as you’re not packing meat). I strap my sticks and platform to the front of it and my sys hangs off the mole loops on the waist belt. When I get to the tree, I pull off the sticks and platform, attach my bow to the back of the pack, hang the sticks off my saddle and then slide my platform into the ventilation gap between my back and the pack (pictured).
I climb up, and when I get to hunting height I can reach behind me, without taking off the pack and grab the platform. Hang my gear strap, take off my backpack and then unhook my bow. One super easy trip.

Sounds like awesome idea. I will have to check this pack out.

That’s a nice set up I’ll take a look at.

nice pack but it’s just a little out of my price range lol

Back