• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best bang for the buck outer layer camo for extreme cold

I’m curious about input about NON top shelf name brand insulated camo. I have all the base layers covered. I’m specifically looking for input about bibs and jacket $500 or less total for both. No Sitka or Scentblocker. I wear a leafy suit so I’m not interested in the latest camo pattern. I want to stay warm in the saddle late winter. What do you think?

I would say my approach would be to layer up. Merino baselayers, fleece midlayers, maybe throw in a primaloft vest, and make sure you have a windproof shell. I wear a lot of the same layers hunting I wear around town.

Gives you a lot more packability and versatility than some cheapo insulated piece that has limited use and packs up terribly.

I suggest you spend some time on Wiggy's website. No one knows about keeping you warm better than Jerry. If you're a pipeline worker above the Arctic Circle, a musher racing in the Iditarod, in the Special Forces in extreme climates or on a ice breaker with the Coast Gaurd, you'd already know Wiggy. He doesn't advertise but stays busy making some of the warmest clothing available. If you want something special, give Jerry a call, he'll work with you. I had him custom make me a jacket liner using his L6 Lamilite insulation and nylon parachute material which is a very soft quiet material. I suggest you call him if you decide you want something and ask him to provide you with the quietest material available because some of the material is quieter than others.

https://www.wiggys.com/

I have an Arctic shield parka that is very warm to me. Lowest I've taken it is the teens, but it did just fine with a baselayer and a fleece pullover under it. They make bibs too. $100 each. Well made. Water and wind proof. Don't know that I've tested the waterproof part yet, but I know they'll stop a wind.

Only drawback is they are a bit heavy. But I looked long and hard for something to pull me through the all day sits in cold weather that rut hunting brings in Alabama, and I'm happy with my choice.

Love my redhead silent hide insulated coveralls for late season. They are cheap and warm and it's easy to unzip on my walk to my hunting spot then as soon as I sit down I rezip and stay nice and warm.

For me nothing beats coveralls when you know its gonna be bitter cold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I suggest you spend some time on Wiggy's website. No one knows about keeping you warm better than Jerry. If you're a pipeline worker above the Arctic Circle, a musher racing in the Iditarod, in the Special Forces in extreme climates or on a ice breaker with the Coast Gaurd, you'd already know Wiggy. He doesn't advertise but stays busy making some of the warmest clothing available. If you want something special, give Jerry a call, he'll work with you. I had him custom make me a jacket liner using his L6 Lamilite insulation and nylon parachute material which is a very soft quiet material. I suggest you call him if you decide you want something and ask him to provide you with the quietest material available because some of the material is quieter than others.

https://www.wiggys.com/
Can you post a pic of what you got? Thanks for the link also

Love my redhead silent hide insulated coveralls for late season. They are cheap and warm and it's easy to unzip on my walk to my hunting spot then as soon as I sit down I rezip and stay nice and warm.

For me nothing beats coveralls when you know its gonna be bitter cold.

I saw these and thought it couldn’t be best for the price.

I saw these and thought it couldn’t be best for the price.
Mine are 4 years old and holding up strong, I wash them once a year and keep em in a scent crusher bag with ozone.. They are plenty warm for late season January bow hunting in maryland. Was out in 10-15 degree temps last year for a 5 hour sit and only my feet got cold

What's "cold" for you (temperature, wind, and humidity) and how long do you sit in late season? Are we talking like 10-20 below zero? Or more like the 10-20 above some others are talking about?

What's "cold" for you (temperature, wind, and humidity) and how long do you sit in late season? Are we talking like 10-20 below zero? Or more like the 10-20 above some others are talking about?
32 down. I’d rather take it out of my pack and put it on instead of not have enough. My experience is limited so I’m planning my purchase to be on the safe side.

Can you post a pic of what you got? Thanks for the link also

The green one is the one I mentioned. The black one is their standard jacket liner. I ordered it in a camo pattern but when I got it the material was too noisy so I called Jerry and told him I needed a quieter material and I didn't really care what color it was since I was wearing it as a liner. He said to send it back and he'd go through his material and find the material that was the quietest. He made the black one for me and sent it back covering the shipping cost. It is a nice quiet liner that I can wear under a camo outer layer. All of Wiggy's stuff is made in Grand Junction, Colorado and is top quality. Jerry charged me $100 postage paid for the green one since it was a custom made item. A bargain!! Their standard liner is on sale now for $45 and they offer it as a vest too for $35. You can't find a better bargain than that.
Another thing about the Lamilite insulation is it is compressible and will not loose it's loft like all other insulation except wool so it will be just as warm in 10 years as it is now... The Lamilite also retains it's insulating value when wet too and dries very quickly.

20181010_214253-460x818.jpg

20181010_214339-460x818.jpg

Last edited:
Back