• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Caribiners

Labonte.r

I’m looking for opinions on best biners for tether and lb. light and small preferred. the ones I have are a twist and pull style and kinda pia one handed leaning towards maybe screw lock or double gate?

Well, best is subjective(to a point. Obviously we have to account for safety, build quality, etc). What do you want out of your biner? You said small and light, are you running a mechanically ascender? Then you might want pear shaped. Friction knot? May not matter as much. I will say go with quality, don't cheap out on a lifesaving piece of equipment.

Metolius bravo screw gate. Very small and light. My personal fav

I’m definately not trying to skimp on safety would like fully industry standard rated. I don’t run mechanical devices running Oplux with jammy In prusik. Would like something compact any recommendations on preferred shape as well?

Petzl sprint
Small , light , rated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All excellent choices from the folks. I run a wild country ascent lite on my tether and a black diamond mini pearbiner on my lineman. My binders are pear shaped cuz i'm running a kong duck on my lineman. An oval shaped biner would work fine for you since you're using a prusik

Last edited:
Another vote for Petzl attache screw lock. It’s the only ones I use. I have the older round model, they’ve changed it up a bit now but still the perfect size.

My favorite is the Metolius Element
Relatively inexpensive, and light as a dang feather.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

All excellent choices from the folks. I run a wild country ascent lite on my tether and a black diamond mini pearbiner on my lineman. My binders are pear shaped cuz i'm running a kong duck on my lineman. An oval shaped biner would work fine for you since you're using a prusik

Hopefully not a dumb question but what is the benefit of a pear shaped on the kong duck? is it due to the tubing piece it passes through unlike the ropeman?

any thoughts on the GM climbing ultra lights? Rated at 1019 KN. I ordered a 5 pack from amazon for 39.95 and they are super light I was highly surprised and impressed.
1571919046844.png1571919046844.png

any thoughts on the GM climbing ultra lights? Rated at 1019 KN. I ordered a 5 pack from amazon for 39.95 and they are super light I was highly surprised and impressed.
View attachment 19064View attachment 19064
I believe you may want to check the 1019 kn rating.

It has the CE and UIAA stamps on them showing they are certified. The arrows in the pic indicate the 1019KN is only in the major axis plane which is typical of all carabiners.... Am I missing something?

NVM I see I misread the stamp it is 24Kn rated the 1019 is the serial number I guess. Great article thanks for sharing it.

1571921108053.png

Last edited:
Hopefully not a dumb question but what is the benefit of a pear shaped on the kong duck? is it due to the tubing piece it passes through unlike the ropeman?
Not a dumb question. I prefer pear as they provide more contact surface with the caribiner hole and they slide easier and don't bind. It's really going to come down to which biner you're using. My black diamond mini pear works perfect.

I’m looking for opinions on best biners for tether and lb. light and small preferred. the ones I have are a twist and pull style and kinda pia one handed leaning towards maybe screw lock or double gate?
What kind of bridge are you running?
Rope is less picky on carabiner choice, but with a webbing bridge, the diameter of your biner’s main axis needs to be bigger than the width of your webbing.
Almost any of the biners mentioned will work when used correctly, provided the bridge can glide through easily and it’s got a stout locking mechanism and kN rating.

What kind of bridge are you running?
Rope is less picky on carabiner choice, but with a webbing bridge, the diameter of your biner’s main axis needs to be bigger than the width of your webbing.
Almost any of the biners mentioned will work when used correctly, provided the bridge can glide through easily and it’s got a stout locking mechanism and kN rating.
Great point Ive got fixed amsteel bridge but might be wanting to try a webbing bridge as I think the amsteel bridge is touch long

Back