• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best GPS for saddle hunting and easiest to use.

Newhunter1

SH Member
I might be in the market for a GPS that is easy to use and easy to understand. What do some of you use?

I use my phone with onX maps. hard to beat if you have a decent smart phone. Plus I can save my tracks, any sign and anything else you might need all in the same spot.

I'll always preface that these "best" questions when it comes to gear are always goofy because most people haven't done extensive testing of multiple products to compare, and then you get various brand allegiances, aka fanboys, and some other oddball factors and replies.

I've tried, ranked in order of favorite to least favorite and brief explanation:

1) Garmin Etrex 20x - Small and simple, fits in a pocket. My go to. Slower satellite acquisition than 64 but better battery life. I prefer the joystick navigation. Needs a lock feature I sometimes make a ton of extra waypoints when it's in my pocket. Cons are I don't have aerial photos on any of my GPS, I rely on them for navigation and topo maps.

2) Garmin 64st - very fast satellite acquisition but poor battery life. Bulkier, doesn't really fit in my pockets well. Really it's a better unit than the eTrex but because it's bigger I almost always leave it at home unless I know sat acquisition will be an issue.

3) Garmin Montana (not sure which, it's my dad's) - I don't have a ton of experience with this one but I've played around with my old man's. Not a huge fan of the touch screen. It doesn't work great when it's wet. It has a camera which is utterly unnecessary to me.

4) On X (Android) - good supplement to GPS that I use for aerials when scouting, but I rank this last because I am not at all a fan of it being my exclusive navigation for reasons of battery life, durability, and having to subject my phone to rain, dirt, mud, etc.

I'll always preface that these "best" questions when it comes to gear are always goofy because most people haven't done extensive testing of multiple products to compare, and then you get various brand allegiances, aka fanboys, and some other oddball factors and replies.

I've tried, ranked in order of favorite to least favorite and brief explanation:

1) Garmin Etrex 20x - Small and simple, fits in a pocket. My go to. Slower satellite acquisition than 64 but better battery life. I prefer the joystick navigation. Needs a lock feature I sometimes make a ton of extra waypoints when it's in my pocket. Cons are I don't have aerial photos on any of my GPS, I rely on them for navigation and topo maps.

2) Garmin 64st - very fast satellite acquisition but poor battery life. Bulkier, doesn't really fit in my pockets well. Really it's a better unit than the eTrex but because it's bigger I almost always leave it at home unless I know sat acquisition will be an issue.

3) Garmin Montana (not sure which, it's my dad's) - I don't have a ton of experience with this one but I've played around with my old man's. Not a huge fan of the touch screen. It doesn't work great when it's wet. It has a camera which is utterly unnecessary to me.

4) On X (Android) - good supplement to GPS that I use for aerials when scouting, but I rank this last because I am not at all a fan of it being my exclusive navigation for reasons of battery life, durability, and having to subject my phone to rain, dirt, mud, etc.

I had the opposite feelings. Bought and returned 2 top of the line garmin GPS units and went all in with my OnX app. Having my phone in airplane mode with downloaded maps I was able to run that program for multiple days on one charge while in the back country elk hunting. As far as user friendly I dont think it gets any easier than your phone at least for me. I always have it with me and no need to buy another gadget. If you are still concerned with battery life they make small portable battery packs that weight almost nothing. I keep one of these in my pack with my tags and forget its even there.

I had the opposite feelings. Bought and returned 2 top of the line garmin GPS units and went all in with my OnX app. Having my phone in airplane mode with downloaded maps I was able to run that program for multiple days on one charge while in the back country elk hunting. As far as user friendly I dont think it gets any easier than your phone at least for me. I always have it with me and no need to buy another gadget. If you are still concerned with battery life they make small portable battery packs that weight almost nothing. I keep one of these in my pack with my tags and forget its even there.

How about in the rain? How does your touchscreen phone work then?

How about in the rain? How does your touchscreen phone work then?
Just shield the screen with my hat, the same I would a hand held. When Im hanging I havent had many issues cause I tend to set up in a tree that will shelter me if rain is in the forecast.

I get more worked up by lack of context and priorities than I do over not trying everything out there. I find it reasonable to develop an opinion that X is the best for a given use case, without trying all alternatives. There's a lot of quantified information and shared equipment experience out there to compare to.

I'm probably due for a new standalone GPS so following this thread. Smartphone/gaia/onx is fine when close in in moderate weather, but a dedicated weather sealed button driven device with packable batteries is a valuable tool.

garmin 64s with sd card for custom maps battery life is good with this garmin if you use power saving measures. I get 10 - 12 hours per battery set.

garmin 64s with sd card for custom maps battery life is good with this garmin if you use power saving measures. I get 10 - 12 hours per battery set.

I run the same unit with my phone (Google maps) for backing each other up...sometimes I don't get a phone signal.

I ran DeLorme Earthmate on my phone and really liked it. Then Garmin bought it and it immediately went straight to Hell. Now I run GAIA and it’s even better than Earthmate was before Garmin destroyed it.

i love my garmin 64st. certainly pack extra batteries but i have had multiple all day hunts in the cold while covering miles and it lasts the day. usually great deals on them too

I went to onX on my iPhone last year and have loved it. Download the map for the area you’ll be in, put phone in airplane mode (gps doesn’t need a phone signal to work) and you’re all set. If you’re worried about damaging your phone, a good case is way cheaper than even the cheapest Garmin.

Another vote for onXmaps. As said before, with airplane mode the battery Will last a long time. Save your Maps to your phone and no cell signal required. I always have my phone with me so it does not make any sense to carry two devices when onX will do it all.

I have a Garmin Montana 610. I used it for the past year and really liked it. But I don't really hunt State Land anymore and stay mostly on my 40 acres, so I never use it. If your interested in that model...I'll make you a great deal. PM me if interested.

I agree with this 100%. I used to use a Garmin GPSMAP 64. While it is very accurate the screen sucks compared to my iPhone and you almost have to take a class to learn how to use it.

Now if you don’t have an iPhone or Android then none of this matters, and your probably better off using a stand alone GPS.

Also your phone can very easily be protected with a good case.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 64ST, I agree with @elk yinzer, it is bulky and I have had issues with batteries going dead quick especially in cold temps. I still use my Garmin but find myself relying more on my phone with Gaia GPS. Their premium map subscription is only like $40 a year, most of the phone based gps apps have similar functionality but I think that Gaia has the best front end user interface. The other apps have too many bells and whistles, Gaia is easy to use and has all that you could possibly need for hunting IMO

I agree with this 100%. I used to use a Garmin GPSMAP 64. While it is very accurate the screen sucks compared to my iPhone and you almost have to take a class to learn how to use it.

Now if you don’t have an iPhone or Android then none of this matters, and your probably better off using a stand alone GPS.

Also your phone can very easily be protected with a good case.

Me and touchscreen cell phones do not get along. So I use a garmin 64. Additionally that onyx maps do not have very good detail contours for florida. I asked about them and they said maybe in the future. I will will stick with the gps and making my own custom maps.

Me and touchscreen cell phones do not get along. So I use a garmin 64. Additionally that onyx maps do not have very good detail contours for florida. I asked about them and they said maybe in the future. I will will stick with the gps and making my own custom maps.

Yeah I understand that. My father in law has a hard time with a touch screen too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back