• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Hand Ascender (Ohio Cold Weather Hunter)

needprivateland

Hey gang new to the group here. I hunt Private (not mine) and public land. I am looking into doing saddle hunting because I tend to go very deep into public land sometimes. I have a Summit Viper SD climber but sometimes its too loud and obnoxious going that deep into the woods with it. I've done my own minimal research but want some feedback from those experienced with Ohio(Midwest) cold weather. Is there a preferred Hand Ascender for climbing in cold weather Ohio? Also type of rope that is best for cold weather Ohio with that Ascender? If anyone could give me their best tips and tricks for their set-ups that would be great. I would like to be as minimalist as possible and prefer to not do climber sticks.

Thanks in advance for all the help

-needprivateland

If you are talking about SRT, I use a Petzl left hand ascender and it works fine. I have used it withe several ropes:
Sterling Oplux 8mm
Sterling Canyon IV 9mm
Sterling htp 9mm

The Kong Ascender looks similar and I’m sure would work with any of the ropes I mentioned.

I would think the Oplux would be nice in colder weather because it is more supple than the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are talking about SRT, I use a Petzl left hand ascender and it works fine. I have used it withe several ropes:
Sterling Oplux 8mm
Sterling Canyon IV 9mm
Sterling htp 9mm

The Kong Ascender looks similar and I’m sure would work with any of the ropes I mentioned.

I would think the Oplux would be nice in colder weather because it is more supple than the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you right or left handed or does it make a difference? I am a left hander so would I want a right then? My big concern is I dont want one of them locking up on me or becoming really noisy due to moisture or freezing on me and locking up and then im stuck up in a tree. (if that's even possible).

Thanks for the response!

I have a bunch of climbing and sewing videos on my channel.

I have a bunch of climbing and sewing videos on my channel.
Thanks for the direction, I really appreciate it!

Are you right or left handed or does it make a difference? I am a left hander so would I want a right then? My big concern is I dont want one of them locking up on me or becoming really noisy due to moisture or freezing on me and locking up and then im stuck up in a tree. (if that's even possible).

Thanks for the response!
normally you want the opposite of your strong hand. The petzl ascender mentioned is a fine choice, or the kong. They won't lock up and leave you stuck. What COULD in theory do that would be a failure of a safeguard (or lifeguard or grigri) that you're using to rappel down. This is unlikely but I think one guy had it happen. It's worth having some sort of mental backup plan

Thanks for the direction, I really appreciate it!
If you stick a needle through your finger or fall out of a tree, remember I didn't tell you to do it. This is only what I did and I haven't done either thing, yet. If I do, I'll show the fail, if I'm able.

normally you want the opposite of your strong hand. The petzl ascender mentioned is a fine choice, or the kong. They won't lock up and leave you stuck. What COULD in theory do that would be a failure of a safeguard (or lifeguard or grigri) that you're using to rappel down. This is unlikely but I think one guy had it happen. It's worth having some sort of mental backup plan
I started out with the left hand ascender and then tried the right handed and like it better. My reason is I am pulling down with my stronger right arm at a 1:1 ratio. My left arm has a 3:1 mechanical advantage due to the pulley effect so I don't have to pull as hard. You've got me thinking, 3:1 with my stronger arm is more force by 3 times. Hmm. They both work.

I started out with the left hand ascender and then tried the right handed and like it better. My reason is I am pulling down with my stronger right arm at a 1:1 ratio. My left arm has a 3:1 mechanical advantage due to the pulley effect so I don't have to pull as hard. You've got me thinking, 3:1 with my stronger arm is more force by 3 times. Hmm. They both work.
Pulley is just extra crap to fiddle with. I just use my stronger arm to pull on the rope with no mechanical advantage if I'm SRTing. Obviously lots of ways to go.

With a pulley or beener on the ascender and with a footloop I think the handedness of the ascender doesn't matter as much. When you stand up on the foot loop all your really doing is pulling slack

Pulley is just extra crap to fiddle with. I just use my stronger arm to pull on the rope with no mechanical advantage if I'm SRTing. Obviously lots of ways to go.
Ct quick roll has a built in pulley. Which has the side benefit of being able to use the gate to clip it off to something when you take it off the rope

A larger diameter rope would be preferred with cold gloved hand. Better dexterity. Just my opinion.

If you’re looking for gear, I’m getting ready to list a COMPLETE saddle hunting SRT/DRT Kit, which has a new in unopened package CT Quick Roll, along with everything else you would need, besides a pack and a bow.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a pulley or beener on the ascender and with a footloop I think the handedness of the ascender doesn't matter as much. When you stand up on the foot loop all your really doing is pulling slack

I agree. Either left or right hand doesn’t make any difference. I think I read somewhere that they’re labeled as such based on which side your thumb can depress the rope catch. But the CT Quick Roll is determined by the side the pulley is on. Kind of confusing, but yeah, I think you’re right- left or right hand doesn’t make any difference.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't spend $40 for the pulley carabiner but it came with my first SRT purchase so I use what I have. You need an extra crap carabiner of some type if you want 3:1. You are probably 20 something. Tell me how you don't need an advantage when you're 60 something. :D

Thanks for the response!

I’m right handed, but left footed (kick left footed). I am more comfortable using the foot loop on my left foot, therefore the left hand ascender.
I also add a carabiner for a redirect to my right hand to take up slack in my safeguard.

Back to the original question, I have used my Petzl hand ascender in weather down below 10 degrees F without issue.

Back