• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

best knots/strategy to tie sling to harness?

raisins

SH Member
Hi,

I just bought a Petzl Aspir harness and a 1" nylon sling that is 36" long. I'm going to run the sling through the padded waist loops to make lineman's loops, as many others seem to have done.

Another user here provides nice pics.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/petzl-aspir-size-1.3365/

I want to tie the sling to the rated belt that actually holds your weight in the harness, so that I am not trusting the flimsy looking parts of the waist padding to hold the sling to my body (where it says Petzl on the back in the second pic in link). I try not to be paranoid, but I am very careful with heights. I am afraid in a weird slip that the sling could be ripped through the little padded belt, and then it could go right up over your head as you fall. So, I want a connection between the sling and the inner weight bearing belt of the harness. I have a speedy stitcher and will tack the sling to the weight bearing harness belt at a few locations to stop sliding, but an easy solution is to tie the two together with some Sterling accessory cord. The 4 mm cord has a MBS of 876 lbs. I'm open to other ideas as well. I also have 5/8" and 1" tubular webbing on hand.

It would be like laying one regular pants belt over another, and then looping the cord around the two (perpendicular to the long edge of the belt) multiple times. The Aspir has plenty of space to do this.

What's the strongest way to lash these two together? Separate loops each tied with a good knot? Or is it stronger to have a longer piece of connected cord kind of weaving around it so that the cord works as a unit and is stronger than any individual loop would be?

I'm tempted to do a scaffold knot at one end near the front of the harness and then keep one continuous piece but just do clove hitches all around it (keeping the cord one piece) and then terminate on the other side somehow. I could also keeping looping and doing square knots, which isn't a big deal if they are internal to a longer piece.

Any resources on how to lash together 2 longer objects using a long, thin cord that you can wrap around the length of the two objects?

If I were to just do many individual loops, then what is a good knot? A square knot is tempting, but I know that after continual loading and deloading that those work loose (hence called the death knot, I think).

Thanks - R

Last edited:
Considering using a piece of this

http://www.balancecommunity.com/1-12-tubular

as a sleeve for both belts I'm joining.

I would just need to get both pieces in place and then thread the 1.5" over both and work it around to the back. Maybe use a 12" to 20" section.

I have a similar harness and knocked up my first saddle to use together, i put velcro along the harness waist band at the back and the same for the saddle it just sticks both together, its only used like this for getting up in the tree so it doesnt come detached, I still use the front loop of the saddle on a beley device for the main rope, i then use a short bridge on the loops of the saddle to a prussik above the belay so i am safe and the saddle doesnt slip away, regards wayne.52156715_2009177662506525_8504968740041916416_n (1).jpg51915455_517322065342368_190765576656781312_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar harness and knocked up my first saddle to use together, i put velcro along the harness waist band at the back and the same for the saddle it just sticks both together, its only used like this for getting up in the tree so it doesnt come detached, I still use the front loop of the saddle on a beley device for the main rope, i then use a short bridge on the loops of the saddle to a prussik above the belay so i am safe and the saddle doesnt slip away, regards wayne.View attachment 10751View attachment 10752

Nice. So that's a Petzl Gym harness I believe.

Is the rear leg attachment sewed on or otherwise permanently attached to the belt? If not, I get you could slide a piece of 2 inch or 1.5 inch tubular webbing all the way around that belt, starting on the left when wearing, and then thread a 1" sling inside that, and make a really nifty set of loops for a lineman's belt/lanyard. You'd have to be able to get the 1.5 inch tubular webbing around that rear leg attachment.

Think that would work on the Gym? Would be very "clean" and easy.

-R

Back