• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Magnifying Glass

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Looking for a lens to take with me hunting, fishing, and just generally mucking around outside. I find myself more and more reverting to childhood and getting distracted by bugs, flowers, and cool rocks; and having a kid seems to have accelerated that. I'm a blank slate when it comes to magnifying glasses, having only owned a cheap jeweler's loupe back in grade school that came with a geology gem kit my folks got me.

Any field biologists or serious amateur naturalists have recommendations? Not looking for whiz-bang pocket doo-dads, and have 0 interest in multitasking abilities or "running" it as a tool for survival, first aid, bushcraft...whatever. I just want to bend light so I can get a better look at small, pretty things.

Looking for a lens to take with me hunting, fishing, and just generally mucking around outside. I find myself more and more reverting to childhood and getting distracted by bugs, flowers, and cool rocks; and having a kid seems to have accelerated that. I'm a blank slate when it comes to magnifying glasses, having only owned a cheap jeweler's loupe back in grade school that came with a geology gem kit my folks got me.

Any field biologists or serious amateur naturalists have recommendations? Not looking for whiz-bang pocket doo-dads, and have 0 interest in multitasking abilities or "running" it as a tool for survival, first aid, bushcraft...whatever. I just want to bend light so I can get a better look at small, pretty things.
I prefer binoculars while driving down the road!

My favorite magnifying glass is the lens outta an old pair of binoculars that I took apart. Slip into an old sock and roll it up. It's maybe 1/2 thick in the center and tapers out to maybe 1/8 at the outside diameter. If u want a pic just ask

Old school loupes for graphic arts / printmaking or for plant and insect ID are compact and rugged and often get you 10x - 50x magnification. There are also now some models that mount to a smart phone - which is quite useful.

Back