• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best method to climb with not so good knees

Napali

I am looking at multiple ways to climb this year but my main concern is I'm going to be 55 and just had knee surgery 10 weeks ago. I was able to put up a lok on last night with 5 sticks but my knee still is a little weak and I know a lot of people on this forum have much more experience on climbing. Trying not to carry in 5-6 sticks to get up to 20 feet but i like LW steps only for the fact that most 2 step are small and you need so many more to equal a 3 step stick. I like to always have a 2 step as my final step. I plan on purchasing either a RR platform or Predator to go with set up. ANy suggestions? WOuld a 2 step or 3 step aider be difficult with a weaker knee?

I am 51, bad knees, bad back and bad shoulders. 10 years in the infantry both in the Marines and Army, as well as 20 + years in Tae Kwon do, judo and hapkido have turned my back, knees, and shoulders into injury prone messes. I've had surgery in my left knee and both shoulders.

I only use the one stick me to to get up to hunting height and a three step aider. Each aider step is 13” (36”) and then depending on the stick I use add another 26”.

Get the first transit where the bottom of the last step on the aider is just below your knee...then put your weak knee (foot) into the bottom step (or reverse) and climb up. Once you get to the bottom of your stick, move your tether up..then climb to your top step of your stick and move your tether up.

Sit down into your saddle and rest a bit if you need to. Move your stick up to where your aider steps are at you foot level and attach your stick. Move up your aider and repeat the process till at hunting height.

Set your platform and then sit down into your saddle and move your stick up to your platform and use the stick as your weak side shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

You can climb drt with your legs amputated above the knee

I use SRT but I rely on an aider that I could see twisting your knee.

Thumbnail decieving.

Not a climbing method but the JX3 is easiest on the knees when you are in the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel for you. Past service in the Marines, many years of lifting heavy weights and karate. Shoulders are shot, knees are heading that way. I just climb within my limits.

There is a guy either here or on the Face Books, [mention]harold wright [/mention] , who has physical limitations. He swears by his Stepps for ascending. Jim Stepp, the inventor of the Stepps, had a war wound (leg) that drove him to invent the Stepps.

I have Stepps and use them on occasion, but I still can use double step sticks with 18” stride. That said, I have my Stepps for whenever I can’t make the 18” stride. The Stepps can be a little “fiddly”, but you can space them out at whatever distance you need to. And more usage of Stepps are in my future.

Many here eschew using the Stepps without aiders because it is a little more weight. It seems everyone here wants to show how high they can climb with the least amount of weight. I guess a younger whipper snapper would value that. But I value being able to get out and hunt within my physical limitations.

Just a thought for you to investigate / think about.

Stay positive.

I'm 56 and use WE steps. I have a bad left knee, no surgeries yet. I've used them as a ladder no aider, I've used them using the modified Cain method using just a knaider ( on my right knee), and I've used them with the knaider/swaider combo. I like them because I control the spacing using any of the methods. IMO worth a look. I don't seem to find them as difficult to tie on as most. They are very quiet to deploy and retrieve, especially with the kydex holster. They do weigh a little more than some methods but they pack down nice and fit inside my pack. They are modifiable to suit individual needs, but I run mine stock except for a little JB weld inside the standoffs to reduce the bark coring effect you can get on soft barked trees.

...but my knee still is a little weak ... would a 2 step or 3 step aider be difficult with a weaker knee?

@Napali - I would be really cautious about trying multi-step aiders with a weak knee or a weak ankle for that matter. When you are starting out and don't have the technique mastered yet, it's easy to have the aider "swing out" of alignment with the stick or step. Many people stress the importance of "planting your toe" into the tree to stabilize your foot so the aider doesn't swing. But before you've mastered it, it's not uncommon to have the aider swing out - and that can injure a weak knee or ankle pretty easily when it happens suddenly. Be aware that the more steps that you have on an aider, the higher the risk of a swing out event. It's important for you to be aware of the risks if you're going to use aiders.

Apart from the risks of a multi-step aider, another hazard with climbing sticks is that the lower standoff can "kick out" from the tree. If you properly set the stick and use good technique and have enough practice the risk is low. But until you have your technique nailed down, the risk of a kick out is higher - especially on a tree with any lean to it. For folks with strong, uninjured leg joints it might be just a minor inconvenience during their climb. They'll shrug it off, reset their stick, ensure it's as tight as they can get it, and keep climbing to hunting height. For folks with a weak knee or ankle, an injury can occur.

A foot, ankle, or knee injury could sideline you for the hunting season and cost you plenty in medical bills, so be careful.

I agree with the previous postings that recommend you try single rope technique (SRT). You can use your "good" leg & knee to power your ascent and consequently avoid putting your weak knee at risk. When you're ready to come down, you can rappel down nice and slow. Most people find that SRT is one of the easiest ways to get up the tree. The double rope technique (DRT) is also easy on the knees and doesn't require as large of an investment in equipment. There's a great YouTube video by the NY Saddle Hunters duo that provides instruction for beginners. You can check it out here:

How to saddle hunt with climbing ropes - DRT & SRT complete guide

It sounds like you want to use sticks but I have found SRT is the easiest climbing method.
With right handed SRT, I hang from my right arm at 1:1 , pull in rope with a 3:1 advantage with my left arm and push with one leg at 1:1 advantage. For me, right arm about 6o lbs, left arm 30 lbs at 3:1 = 90 lbs. My leg has to push 30 lbs (180-90-60=30). Until you analyze the situation, you can't see the advantages. I can do a pullup with 2 arms, which I do most mornings, so climbing is SUPER easy by SRT. My legs are much weaker than when I was 20 something. I am now 60 something.
The other advantage is you are using all climb rated devices, not some aluminum parts thrown together by a manufacturer with very little testing. If the branch holds and your knots do, it is highly likely you will not fall.

Last edited:
@Napali - I just saw a post in another thread that illustrates what can happen while using an aider. (Link below) To be clear, I'm not bashing aiders ... I'm just cautioning you that there are real risks, and since you had knee surgery just 10 weeks ago and is still a little weak, you'll want to take it into consideration.

I appreciate the responses. Being new to the forum and the options people provide is simply awesome. I was leaning towards trying a 2 or 3 step gaitor but I am now thinking of WE Steps and maybe in combination with double step sticks. Looking at the Hawk 32" steps with 4 or 5 WE steps can get me 20+ when needed. it would save me from setting up a bunch of steps for mobile hunting.

Ive had my hipp and both knees replaced, 63 yrs old. this will be my 4th year using wildedge stepps. I use a 16 pack of stepps. Best climbing method out there for me.
Do you use them for mobile hunting? If so, how long does it take you to set up

All this stuff ready to climb weighs 6.5 pounds. My platform weighs another 2 lbs 7 oz.

I one stick some times and it's tough on my bad knees but doable, if I like the spot I'll hang a paracord loop to pull my rope up and SRT or DRT the next time. The hip thrust DRT can be tough for me on some trees ( bad shoulder) but with a foot loop it's easy, SRT is easy too and faster than DRT but involves some more equipment. All three methods are good practical light weight ways of climbing and rappelling down after the climb is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Another vote for DRT. check out the nysaddlehunter videos. The throwball takes some practice as does the DRT itself,but it sure is easy on the knees.

Back