• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Phone Hunting App.

ricky racer

I know this has been discussed before but what phone hunting app. do you use and why? I'm looking for the best option with maps showing private land with owners name and possibly contact info as well as public hunting lands. I am mainly interested in Michigan but possibly interested in Indiana and Ohio too. It has to be easy to use for my feeble old brain.

I know a bunch have already said this, but OnX. You have to subscribe to it but to me it’s worth every penny. And there is a difference between it and the free apps in my experience. It’s also very easy to use and has a lot of nice features. Lots of info out there about it so you should be able to find about every answer to any question you’d have about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnX has a version where you get the whole country, and a per-state version. If you can get the whole country version with a discount code down to a price around $40/year, it's probably the one you'll see other hunters relate to the most.

If you can't get the price that low, then I find GaiaGPS.com (has an android and iphone app) at $40/year comparable, but maybe a little less hunter-intended.

Edit: Gaia has private owner info - but not usually contact info. Just name, usually, where I've looked at Michigan owners. Not sure OnX would have better info, but if you want to compare, PM me coordinates/address and I'll send you what I get in Gaia. Don't send me your tree stand location - pick an example location :)

Like others have said, most people can relate to Onx but wait for a sale if you need multiple states. Otherwise GAIA is a good app and costs less with comparable info its just not geared specifically for hunters. I have found that GAIA does track me more accurately both online and in airplane mode and updates position much quicker than onx which tends to lag on me a bit. If weather is something you would like to track in the same app then onx. Trial both and see what works best for you.

Camofire.com has OnX memberships for sale for almost half off regular price if you watch for them. Seems like they show up there every 10 days-2 weeks or so.

Camofire.com has OnX memberships for sale for almost half off regular price if you watch for them. Seems like they show up there every 10 days-2 weeks or so.

Bowhunter Chronicles got me on BaseMap. You get all 50 states for the price of one on OnX. Also, 3D mapping. Breadcrumbs, real time location sharing, and weekly giveaways.

Back