• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best platform for a newbie

Ronnin1010

I’m really close to having enough money saved to be able to buy my first saddle, what I would like to know is what is the best for a newbie to saddle hunting, buy a ring of steps or the predator hunting platform? Or is there something else out there that is similar to these but has a decent price and still does the same thing? Thanks for any and all info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the predator as my first platform, I really like it. i haven't tried a ROS, but i have no need to go away from the Predator.

Congratulations on saving up. I have no words of wisdom. I’ve been standing on a lone wolf single step and 2 ameristep screw ins. I ordered a predator recently but don’t have an opinion on it yet. Funny story, tonight I couldn’t get one of the screw ins out. Has to leave it. Not worth hurting myself over.

I made s ROS from bullman silent steps and couldn't be happier. Bought s OCB strap from @DanO and reccomend over ratchet strap Also built a slomo DIY platform but prefer the ROS for packability, comfort and, well it just works for me.

If your short on cash & just getting setup just use some screw ins at the top to get a feel for it. Know that a ros will be more comfortable. You could then weight out upgrading to platform or ros.

I’m finishing my second full season in the saddle. I’m thinking I will be a ring of steps guy for 90 percent of my hunting. I have a predator platform and really like it also. I think the predator is as good as it gets in a platform. There are other options but I think the predator is the best balance of size weight and ease of setup. I’ve used wild edge steps as a platform and ameristeps as a ring of steps. I’m really enjoying the ameristeps. Compact enough and not much harder to setup than the predator when using a over center buckle. Screw in steps work. I think all of my presets will be drilled with bolts for a platform. It is a very personal thing and not a decision that’s easy to make. I think if you bow hunt the predator platform will be the easiest to get used to since it’s closer to a stand than the other options.

I got into it this season. Started out using WE steps to get up the tree, and as my platform. I made a handful hunts using that method. Then my predator came, and I've used that ever since. I didn't think the WE steps were all that uncomfortable as a platform. I think the predator is more comfortable. As for maneuvering around the tree for different shots...... I'm biased, because I've practiced with the platform more. I don't think their is a wrong way, just personal preference.

If you're a big guy, tree steps are difficult on your feet. Predator platform is comfortable.

If you're a big guy, tree steps are difficult on your feet. Predator platform is comfortable.
I’m 290 lbs. hunted on wild edge steps all season last year. Found them comfortable. I wanted to build an xop platform. Checked out a few at the first saddlepalooza and they were flexing a good bit with guys that weighed a hundred pounds less then me. Talked to Ernie about them at the second saddlepalooza and he said just wait for his. That’s what I did and I couldn’t be happier with the predator. Then in December I picked up five ameristeps and a over center buckle. I’m still going to keep the predator. I like to sit and the predator doesn’t quite fit me for sitting. I still have to try it with a step on the strap as that may be the best of both worlds but for right now a ring of steps is my favorite. The boots are important. My lacrosse grange are not comfortable on steps but they aren’t that comfortable on a platform. They have about as much support as a Trojan. My mucks are plenty comfortable on steps as long as I haven’t got hung up climbing and had to spend extended time on sticks or aiders on the way up. As long as my feet aren’t hurting by the time I get setup they won’t hurt during the hunt.

I’m about 190 to 200 pounds and I’m 5’9” with a size 34 waist. I’m planning on using some older climbing sticks from my father in law until I can afford some nice ones to get in the tree. I plan on buying either a platform or ring of steps, I figured a lot of it will be personal preference, but right now just getting started my preference is something that is affordable. I’ve seen on the wild edge web page that you can buy three steps for $65 and have seen on YouTube someone putting three or four of them around the tree to do a ROS set up with the Wild edge steps.

Everyone’s input is helping me a lot and I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back