• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best, quietest,rain gear , that won’t break the bank?

Tree hunter

SH Member
My rain gear is not water proof ,it’s water resistant, and loud.
I have used it for many years but not sure I want to be soaked after a couple of hours in the rain anymore.
Please — suggestions ?

Rivers West Stalker jacket and pants

None of it is whisper quiet, but the Rivers West Stalker line is the quietest fully waterproof midweight rain wear I've found. Granted, I haven't spent $800 on a set of Kuiu or First Lite for comparison. It is midweight in that it has a fleece exterior and a liner layer. There's no insulation though.

Last edited:
Legitimately, check out the Badlands Exo set. I'm picky about silence and this is one of the best ones that I've used. I actually own this set in both a medium and a large size to cover my layering options haha.

It's way quieter than my packable First Lite set...

Last edited:
Huntworth is a good budget option. i had great luck with it the last 2 seasons.

To be clear, other than pure rubber there's no such thing as waterproof gear. If you sit out long enough or bust enough brush it will eventually soak through. Kuiu is head and shoulders above the competition imo. I really like the Yukon

I was looking at the Yukon.

How durable is it? How quiet? Is the outer material brushed at all or is it just a thicker/slightly quieter version of a standard nylon/polyester hiking rain jacket?

I want the Yukon set, but if I easily tear a whole in something that expensive, then i'm gonna be pretty upset!

How durable is it? How quiet? Is the outer material brushed at all or is it just a thicker/slightly quieter version of a standard nylon/polyester hiking rain jacket?

I want the Yukon set, but if I easily tear a whole in something that expensive, then i'm gonna be pretty upset!
Just used my Yukon jacket on a spring bear hunt in AK on the kenai peninsula. Rained every day but I never got wet. Busted a fair amount of brush and it held up remarkably well. Overall, I’m super happy with it’s performance

I use it maybe 5-6 times a season. But I've busted a ton of brush, thorns, has sticks hidden in ferns stab the pants, rubbed on bark, on and on and my set still looks great after 4 years. It's definitely swishy sounding but I don't care about noise when it's raining

I just got some king's Screenshot_20230915_044603_Gallery.jpggear that is pretty nice as far as quiet ,light and packable.im pretty picky.but i like it its cumforitable and inexspencive..only one season in them though....we will see how it handles the blacktail woods.

Last edited:

Yukon set is very abrasive resistant. It is a thicker rain jacket than you might be use to. It was fairly quiet, it seemed slightly more quiet than a standard rain jacket.

I’m missing something Yukon does not look inexpensive ?
It’s a $400 jacket on sale for $250 right now in the Kuiu outlet store. Great rain gear is expensive.

Another decent option is the Cabelas space rain gear which can be had for $100-125 total for pants and jacket. Packs down really well and will keep you dry for hours. All day rain and you’re going to get a little damp

innov-8 stormshell in green. its not camo/hunting specific but its plenty quiet and one of the few jackets at its price point that is rated 20k water protection and 20k breatheability. weighs practically nothing and packs down tiny. its designed for trail/mountain runners with durability in mind. its not gonna survive a blind scramble through a briar patch - but its held up to normal hiking and trail running thus far. i love mine.

that said - after 2 hours in the rain most jackets are going to wet out no matter their rating. if you're in a tree maybe consider a tree umbrella coupled with a cheapo jacket. if you're gonna be in the rain for hours id think that combo will be more effective.

In another thread someone suggested wearing a leaf suit over noisy rain gear, to silence it. That might be a cheaper option than new rain gear if it works for you.

Back