• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

best rangefinder?

If it’s just for archery, I’d go with the cheapest one from a known company I could find. I have a less than $100 Halo. It doesn’t necessarily need to be that accurate, just consistent. And some kind of angle compensation feature is a must. If doing long range rifle shooting you may want to invest a little more.

I had a Bushnell and it crapped out on me before the second season was over. I contacted them and they pretty much said too bad and didn't back up there product. I then spent about $40 dollars more and bought a Leopold with a lifetime guarantee. I love it.

I've been really happy with the sig offerings. Ended up buying a backup (two is one...) but made sure to upgrade to an adjustable intensity red display. World of difference.

I've got a Halo, I think it was $60-80. Works just fine for ranging in the woods here in Michigan for both archery and gun, since you don't usually get that far off of a shot anyway.

I have a vortex ranger as well.
Bought it mostly for the clip and the lifetime warranty.
The red LED display rocks!

Anybody invested in the rangfinding binocs combos out by Sig or Vortex? I see Bushnell came out with one this year too with the auto contrast about $500 cheaper than the first two. I typically never use a rangefinder for bowhunting but eventually I may want to do some out west hunting.

Based on my research and my purchases here is my view.

Purchased: Vortex Razor HD 4000 based on the best glass and the warranty.​
Looked At: Sig and I was surprised on how poor the glass was​
Looked AT: Bushnell's but did not like the glass.​
Have owned: 3 Leupold, but each one had issues with part of the screen going out after the warranty ended.​
Have Owned: Simmons - poor glass and angle calculator​
The angle calculator is important to look at. I have taken hand measurements and the Vortex is correct so were the Leupolds. I can use my Vortex and not need to bring my Binos into the woods as the glass and 7x mag is so great.​

I have a Vortex impact 1000…. Think it was 180… great for bow…. dont need All the features of the higher level ones…. And the price jump is big after this level of range finder so I figured it was good… plus lifetime warrantee

Leupold has a lifetime warranty.
Not on Rangefinder electronics See below from their Website Lifetime Guarantee (leupold.com)
ELECTRONICS LIMITED TWO-YEAR GUARANTEE
Leupold electronic products, which include rangefinders, thermal products, and other electronic devices, are warrantied against defects in materials and workmanship for two-years from the date of purchase. If the product is found to be defective, Leupold & Stevens Inc. will repair or replace it free of charge, within that two-year period. Proof of purchase may be required to verify warranty.

Lifetime warranty is on riflescope, mounts, red dot, binocular, or spotting scope

Not on Rangefinder electronics See below from their Website Lifetime Guarantee (leupold.com)
ELECTRONICS LIMITED TWO-YEAR GUARANTEE
Leupold electronic products, which include rangefinders, thermal products, and other electronic devices, are warrantied against defects in materials and workmanship for two-years from the date of purchase. If the product is found to be defective, Leupold & Stevens Inc. will repair or replace it free of charge, within that two-year period. Proof of purchase may be required to verify warranty.

Lifetime warranty is on riflescope, mounts, red dot, binocular, or spotting scope
Wouldn't a red dot be an electronic device though.

Eyeball. Free and I perfectly legal.
my newbie eyeballs can't quite judge the difference between distances as it gets further away. 20-30 yards away is no big deal but 70 vs 90? gets harder to judge. i likely won't shoot past 30ish, so mainly use my rangefinder to figure out just how far out of range all the deer I see are.

I have an old Nikon rangefinder that I used for a couple of years without issue. No fancy bells and whistles but perfect for hunting from an elevated position. Last year I went out west to chase elk and needed something with angle compensation and was in the same boat.

I went with something cheap (100ish doll hairs), it was a Muddy or a Halo or something like that. Not only was the ranging beam offset from the reticle by a foot, but the angle compensation was inconsistent. That piece of crap got wet from one rainstorm last November and died on me. So this spring I bit the bullet and spent the money I should have on a vortex ranger 1800. Night and day difference in quality.

If you can afford it you should buy once cry once on quality gear, if not then stick to something simple until you can.

tl;dr - another vote for vortex

Back