• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best rope for pulling up gear

I use 1/2” utility rope. It’s obnoxiously long (like 35’ or more) but it’s stout and sturdy. Got the idea from @John Eberhart and since I can only get to like 25’ max hunting height, I can also tie knots easily with/onto extra length and just use the one rope for both bow and pack pull-up in one shot. It’s not perfect but it’s way better than 550 IMO.
I do like the figure 8 option, and I’ve even gone so far as to bring a small docking cleat on my harness to accomplish the tangle-free 550 retrieval if I forget or don’t want my utility rope.

I use an inexpensive paracord knock off that has a slightly thicker diameter than the actual paracord. You can 'milk' the casing of most paracord ropes then burn the ends (obviously) to make them more stiff which helps with tangles, especially when dealing with 20'+ lengths. It takes some effort to do, but what else am I supposed to do with my free time prior to the season??

Nothing helps tangles like winding the rope in figure-8 style however.

@Scott F your post just got me thinking about removing the insides of the entire 30ft length of cord. It would sure pack down easier. Don't know why I didn't think about this before...

@Scott F your post just got me thinking about removing the insides of the entire 30ft length of cord. It would sure pack down easier. Don't know why I didn't think about this before...

I haven't removed the guts, just pulled them (and the external rope case) really tight to make it more 'wire like'.
I would think removing the guts would make the rope too thin and harder to hold onto while hoisting - think rope burn. Maybe we are just talking past each other...

Attwood 11783-7 Nylon Cleats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UXM4JEI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CrhsDbPWHYM11

I have a few of these in my pack(s) for Fig-8 ease. Keeps it all locked in tightly. If you hunt where you can screw stuff in, then take some good 4-6” screws and drill them into your pre-set trees with pre-set cord. Lace up when you hunt, drop and leave hanging when you exit the woods.
If you’re all public like me, I usually just hold them, but you can also screw them into a grab-pad such as a 6”L x 2.5”W piece of wood or polymer.

I haven't removed the guts, just pulled them (and the external rope case) really tight to make it more 'wire like'.
I would think removing the guts would make the rope too thin and harder to hold onto while hoisting - think rope burn. Maybe we are just talking past each other...
I get what you're saying. I was just saying that your description made my wheels start turning in a different direction.

I love my Doyle's hoist. It does add weight, but I never have to worry about a tangled rope. The added weight is easily worth it for me.

I love my Doyle's hoist. It does add weight, but I never have to worry about a tangled rope. The added weight is easily worth it for me.

Same here! You don't even have to think about it. I think it was @Nutterbuster idea to put it in your pack. I put a hole in the bottom of my pack with a grommet so the Doyle's inside with the clip outside always ready. You don't even know it's there,

Back