• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best saddle for sitting position

Surfnturf

I’ve been saddle hunting for quite a while now. I’m still in an old leather trophyline that weighs and 10#
It’s plenty comfortable but looking to upgrade.
What should I be looking for considering I am in the siting position about 80% of the time and rope climb?

I’m looking at the Ape Canyon Pioneer based on price and JRBs review but turns out TX5 is only 15mi from my house.

Welcome! You'll get a lot of varied opinions. I started out with a Cruzr XC and liked it well enough. I did a good bit of DRT rope climbing with it. I then went to 2 panel saddles and prefer them now. I have a Treehopper Recon size small, and a Saddle I built myself called a Wraptor, based on the old Anderson tree sling. I sit easily 95% of the time and do all day sits quite often. I love a 2 panel saddle. I haven't done DRT in quite a while since the trees I have generally don't have load bearing limbs within 60 feet of the ground. I use 2TC now, a simple rope climbing method that works great once you learn it.

I’ve looked at 2TC and may get there but I am a JRB follower at present and like his hitch climbing. It’s not a lot different it just requires a pole.
So I guess my original question is basically 1panel or 2 panel for a sitter?
The thing I like about the old trophyline is the high back.

The nice thing about a 2 panel is that with the 4 straps of webbing under your butt they do not stretch over time and all that surface area helps to distribute the weight more evenly. Most single panels have a web at the top and one at the bottom with mesh in between. The mesh can sag over time and let the webbing dig in on top and bottom.

In this video John Eberhart goes over the benefits of the 2 panel saddle. I don't have an ESS, but what he says goes for just about any 2 panel.

Back