• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best sharpening system for fixed blade Broadheads.

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
I'm thinking of going with some heavyweight bh's next season so what's the best sharpening system out there for keeping them scary sharp. Ease of use is my #1 priority. I haven't decided on which heads yet. Also,which ones have a sharpening service? Thanks in advance for your input.

Following along as I’m thinking of making the switch as well and curious how hard it will be to sharpen. I have heard that there is a difference between the single and double bevel heads and I think that comes in to play when sharpening. I’m thinking of going the single bevel Maasai-125 with an outsert or the 200. What heads are you considering?

I dont own one but all the guys I know that have a Rada swear by them. I am going to order one. File and strop will work, stones will work, jewel stick works, Work Sharp works, etc. Lots of choices, you just need to pick one and learn to use it. I am of the opinion that if you will learn with a set of stones or file, you can transition to pretty much any other system and make them work just fine. It's a useful skill to learn how to make stuff sharp. You know man stuff that there isnt a phone app for. ;)

Following along as I’m thinking of making the switch as well and curious how hard it will be to sharpen. I have heard that there is a difference between the single and double bevel heads and I think that comes in to play when sharpening. I’m thinking of going the single bevel Maasai-125 with an outsert or the 200. What heads are you considering?
I WAS considering those Iron Will 200's that were in the classified but there spoken for now. Haha!

I bought a KME for this purpose. I also got a Strop.
Over on another thread a guy was raving about "Wicked Edgh" expensive but looks simple.
The Hunting public did a show with the ranch fairy that went over sharpening and the equipment you need. They focused on real inexpensive stuff, which is nice to see.

I dont own one but all the guys I know that have a Rada swear by them. I am going to order one. File and strop will work, stones will work, jewel stick works, Work Sharp works, etc. Lots of choices, you just need to pick one and learn to use it. I am of the opinion that if you will learn with a set of stones or file, you can transition to pretty much any other system and make them work just fine. It's a useful skill to learn how to make stuff sharp. You know man stuff that there isnt a phone app for. ;)
I can sharpen the crap out of my ice chisel which is single bevel but have 0 experience with sharpening broadheads.

I dont know what an ice chisel is but I would guess it is more difficult to deal with than a broadhead. Chris Spikes has a good video on sharpening Simmons broadheads with a jewel stick. It might be under his Tagging Out Traditional you tube channel. There are lots of videos for the various systems.

I hunt with Magnus Stingers. I have these and they work very well. You can get a crazy sharp mirror finish in no time with their system.

Until I purchased the blocks I had never sharpened a BH. Like him, love him or hate him.... RF has some good videos on sharpening fixed blade BH's if you have never sharpened your own.

I bought a KME for this purpose. I also got a Strop.
Over on another thread a guy was raving about "Wicked Edgh" expensive but looks simple.
The Hunting public did a show with the ranch fairy that went over sharpening and the equipment you need. They focused on real inexpensive stuff, which is nice to see.
I got that double side diamond file the ol RF talked about and a strop. I sharpened up my Maasais with it. I haven't been able to get them to that point he swipes the paper and it just cuts. I am close. But just can't get that last extra bit. I still consider them huntable as they are sharp, and the deer I shot last year they plowed through. I hope to get it figured out before next season. Thing to do in the off season. I need to start now.

I have a Smith's guide that I use for knives that also works on broadheads but that staysharp is really a no brainier....I have access to tons of different grit sandpaper from my work. Just make sure to orientation the broadhead the same each side....I made a scribe mark on the broadhead so I make sure that bevel plain stays consistent... sharpie marker doesn't lie....remark the edge regularly and u start to see/understand how it all works

I hunt with Magnus Stingers. I have these and they work very well. You can get a crazy sharp mirror finish in no time with their system.

Until I purchased the blocks I had never sharpened a BH. Like him, love him or hate him.... RF has some good videos on sharpening fixed blade BH's if you have never sharpened your own.
I’m assuming you have to remove the blades on a Stinger to use that? I got a KME and could not sharpen without removing the blades from ferrule. I realized this after my first attempt and was grinding the ferrule. I’m new to this so this was kind of a learn on the fly experience. They were the 150 grains so a little larger ferrule. I don’t know if this is the case with the lighter versions

I’m assuming you have to remove the blades on a Stinger to use that? I got a KME and could not sharpen without removing the blades from ferrule. I realized this after my first attempt and was grinding the ferrule. I’m new to this so this was kind of a learn on the fly experience. They were the 150 grains so a little larger ferrule. I don’t know if this is the case with the lighter versions
Yessir .....you have to remove the blade and the bleeders to sharpen them.

Another vote for the stay sharp guides. I have used them with sandpaper and a whet stone. Like them with sandpaper the best. I also use a strop to finish them off.

I've been driving my wife crazy lately. Bought a 1000/6000 grit stone and a leather strop, and I've been sharpening everything in the house. Pocket knives, hunting knives, kitchen knives, scissors. She's cut herself twice now that all our knives aren't like butter knives.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone asked about this since i just ordered my first one piece heads. Im switching from qad exodus to annihilator 100's. Ill be running a 100gr insert as well. Was just researching best ways to resharpen.

Back