• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best size amsteel for rope mod?

Knik

Not wanting to walk all over ChssingDinner's thread, thought I would start this one. I have used the "search" function, must be an idiot as I can't find the info I'm looking for.

So...... have decided to use the rope mod on my Shikars and I'm wondering what is the best size amsteel to use. I will be using a Versa Aider if that matters. I see several experienced guys using 1/4". As stated before, this will be on Shikars while using a vera aider. Any info would be much appreciated.

I can see where the 1/4" would help in "throwing" it around the tree, but outside of that, what advantages does it have over the other sizes?

7/64" has a working load of ~300lbs
1/4" has a working load of ~1760 lbs
Working load is about 20% of tensile strength. (Put a knot in it and you reduce your tensile strength by up to 50%)
I use 1/4" as well as 3/16" amsteel.
Others use 7/64". I guess it just depends on your comfort level.

Brother I truly appreciate you taking the time to break it down for me, that makes sense. You've given me a good starting point.

For what it’s worth the 7/64 looks like dental floss compared to 1/4”, I’m 240 and tried some 7/64 at ground level just around the tree once and a few extra wraps on the versa button with a couple half hitches and it worked fine, for piece of mind 1/4” seems like the most popular compromise, that’s what I will be using.

I use 1/4", it's easier to handle, especially if you're wearing gloves.

Another good point I hadn't thought of, that makes sense.

Since I'm going to use a Versa Aider, there will still be plenty room on the versa button after 1/4" is wrapped correct?

I originally wanted to use Whoopsie Daisy from BW (7/64), ordered 2 and played around with them out back. They worked great but didn't want to loosen up after being set, im very familiar with the concept, our transformer slings at work are whoopied on both ends. Just think the rope mode is a simpler and faster method. I'll work with the whoopies some more and make a couple of ropes to play with. Again thanks for the replies.

I originally wanted to use Whoopsie Daisy from BW (7/64), ordered 2 and played around with them out back. They worked great but didn't want to loosen up after being set, im very familiar with the concept, our transformer slings at work are whoopied on both ends. Just think the rope mode is a simpler and faster method. I'll work with the whoopies some more and make a couple of ropes to play with. Again thanks for the replies.
I like Amsteel daisy chains myself. Easy to attach in the dark, no tying involved. (And no worries about snugging the whoopie sling too much that you can't loosen it). I've used them on older Hawk Heliums with a Lone Wolf versa button and on the newer Heliums with the Hawk versa button...plenty of room using 1/4" Amsteel. I have a homemade versa aider with 3/16" Amsteel. It seems like there is enough space for the 2 layers of 1/4" and one layer of 3/16" on the button at the same time. You could just use all 3/16" or even 1/8" if you're worried about not having enough room on the versa button.

I like Amsteel daisy chains myself. Easy to attach in the dark, no tying involved. (And no worries about snugging the whoopie sling too much that you can't loosen it). I've used them on older Hawk Heliums with a Lone Wolf versa button and on the newer Heliums with the Hawk versa button...plenty of room using 1/4" Amsteel. I have a homemade versa aider with 3/16" Amsteel. It seems like there is enough space for the 2 layers of 1/4" and one layer of 3/16" on the button at the same time. You could just use all 3/16" or even 1/8" if you're worried about not having enough room on the versa button.

That's good to know. that information helps alot.

Those of you using 1/4" Amsteel rope mod, what method are you using to tie off at the versa button? I was under the impression that Amsteel wasn't the best for tying knots? I've been using 1/4" Amsteel whoopie slings on my sticks.

Back