• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best stick for 1-sticking

reggoh75

I have done a lot of reading on this site and I want to try 1-sticking this year once I receive my saddle.
For you guys that are currently using this climbing method, can you discuss some of the Pros and Cons of the following items:
I am looking for information about ease of climbing with the 1-stick method... things to consider that a novice may not realize.

LW Sticks
I currently have a set of 4 LW sticks that i use the rope mod on.
Was thinking of ordering a single stick to modify shorter and add double steps.
Cost: $50 for stick and another $30 in mod costs

Hawk Helium sticks
I have never used these so I don't know if I would mod it shorter or just use as is.
Cost: $45 (or buy a set of 3 for $99 and sell the other 2)

Muddy Pro Sticks
These seem to only be sold in 4 packs at a cost of $169
The cam cleat, double steps, and 2 step length make these attractive
I could sell the other 3 sticks that I don't need.

Beast Sticks
A little pricey at $80 but seem to be very popular.
Currently out of stock.
I am 5'8" tall so I'm not sure how the 22" step would feel coming from the LW sticks.

I have the muddy pro sticks and the stacked outdoors sticks. I personally like the Stacked Outdoors sticks. On one climb with the muddy stick I got tangled up in the rope and it pulled it out of the cam cleat. That made me like a stick with a strap more especially when you are putting side pressure on them.

I have done a lot of reading on this site and I want to try 1-sticking this year once I receive my saddle.
For you guys that are currently using this climbing method, can you discuss some of the Pros and Cons of the following items:
I am looking for information about ease of climbing with the 1-stick method... things to consider that a novice may not realize.

LW Sticks
I currently have a set of 4 LW sticks that i use the rope mod on.
Was thinking of ordering a single stick to modify shorter and add double steps.
Cost: $50 for stick and another $30 in mod costs

Hawk Helium sticks
I have never used these so I don't know if I would mod it shorter or just use as is.
Cost: $45 (or buy a set of 3 for $99 and sell the other 2)

Muddy Pro Sticks
These seem to only be sold in 4 packs at a cost of $169
The cam cleat, double steps, and 2 step length make these attractive
I could sell the other 3 sticks that I don't need.

Beast Sticks
A little pricey at $80 but seem to be very popular.
Currently out of stock.
I am 5'8" tall so I'm not sure how the 22" step would feel coming from the LW sticks.

I’m a touch shorter than you, but I had no problem with the beast stick. I think the cam cleat or whatever on the muddy is popular for one sticking.

I run a single Lone Wolf with the original cam buckle, hockey taped (stick and buckle). Then I took another cam buckle strap I had laying around and turned that into an adjustable aider. I make 20-25 feet in 3-4 stick moves. I did put API double steps on all my lone wolf sticks. I don't think I'll shorten this stick because I can't justify it. Its 2 lbs. It gets me about 5-6 feet each move (a shorter stick would yield shorter moves) and it isn't in the way or inconvenient as it is.

I have done it with a cut down hawk, a lone wolf, and beast. Beast was my least favorite for this because of the non folding steps. Lone wolf was second, but lost out to hawk due to only one step.

The Hawk is cut to about 15 inches or so with a 20 inch webbing aider tied in to the slots on the bottom steps. This is the best one for me because it packs the smallest, and the webbing can be conveniently attached to the steps. I can get to over 20 feet in 6 moves or so but it goes really fast.

The top step doesn't get used until I set my platform, and doubles as an additional platform off to the side to help me get around the tree. I don't think I would bother trying to use anything else.

Hope this help.

Don't spend anymore $$$ on sticks! First use what you have and see if one sticking is something you like, I swear by it but others hate it. Use your LW stick and see what you think. Try it with the oem straps and rope mod then progress to maybe cutting the stick and adding a step aider or you may find you rather have a double step as opposed to the single step. It may be cheaper/easier to mod than to buy another piece of gear and go thru the hassle of selling the excess.

Ease of climbing depends on your fitness/flexibility and practice to find what is the technique that works best for you.

For one stick, I would recommend one with double steps over LW. Other than that it is all personal preference, muddy, hawks, api, diy, doesn't really matter. Some like the cam cleat attachment, some like the versa and rope and others, like me, are fine with a cam buckle strap, only you can answer that.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Don't spend anymore $$$ on sticks! First use what you have and see if one sticking is something you like, I swear by it but others hate it. Use your LW stick and see what you think. Try it with the oem straps and rope mod then progress to maybe cutting the stick and adding a step aider or you may find you rather have a double step as opposed to the single step. It may be cheaper/easier to mod than to buy another piece of gear and go thru the hassle of selling the excess.

I'm pretty sure I will be comfortable with using the 1-stick method with regards to safety, fitness, and function.
I almost went to this system a couple of years ago using a RCH but just never pulled the trigger because I got on a lease for my kids.
I got off the lease this year and am back to hunting public like I used to do.
Since I first explored this climbing method, I have discovered saddle hunting so it seems like a great time to put them together.

I could use 1 of my uncut LW sticks but I really like the advice about having 2 steps for moving the tether up.
I'm leaning towards the Hawk stick with a 20"-22" mod.
Not sure which attachment method would fit my style best...
The Rope mod is great but I like the added overhand knot for safety so it takes a little more time.
May try to add a rope cleat to the modified stick. I'll search for a thread on that.

Thank you for all the replies! Keep the thoughts coming!

You can buy doublesteps to put on your LW stick unless you have your heart set on a new stick.
Even when using the rope cleat it is recommended to add a backup knot behind it.
I use a diy stick 22" long with double steps, rope mod and a two step aider

You can buy doublesteps to put on your LW stick unless you have your heart set on a new stick.
Even when using the rope cleat it is recommended to add a backup knot behind it.
I use a diy stick 22" long with double steps, rope mod and a two step aider

I was hoping to keep my original set of 4 LW sticks with my Millennium hang-on as a package in case one of my kids goes with me in the future.
I could set these up with my son in the hang-on while I hang from my saddle above him to film/guide.

My son is 10 and prefers computer games to hunting but that may change as he gets older.
My oldest daughter is 13 and she only goes about once a year.
This is the reason I dropped my lease this year... I like public... the lease was for them.

I was hoping to keep my original set of 4 LW sticks with my Millennium hang-on as a package in case one of my kids goes with me in the future.
I could set these up with my son in the hang-on while I hang from my saddle above him to film/guide.

My son is 10 and prefers computer games to hunting but that may change as he gets older.
My oldest daughter is 13 and she only goes about once a year.
This is the reason I dropped my lease this year... I like public... the lease was for them.

You could simply mod out the one LW stick and use it as your single stick-er while leaving the other three stock. You can make 15-18 feet with 3 sticks no problem.

I haven't tried a bunch of different brands of sticks but I have one muddy pro stick with lightweight hardware from DanO. I am a fan of the cam cleat so far. 1 stick comes in at 2.6lbs with rope and single step aider.

I have a set of Muddy Aerolite sticks, they’re longer than a lot of others, they have 3 steps. I tried one stick last year with a rope aider attached and it was too much. I also was hanging from the belay loop on my harness and hanging to the side of the stick to move it, which was very uncomfortable. This year I ditched the rope aider since the stick is fairly long and hung with my bridge and moved the stick up between my legs with my toes on the tree for a little bit of stability. That method worked like a charm. I tested it this morning and got to 12’ in a couple minutes. It was less strenuous than using a climber.

I one stick with un-modified hawk. I use two primal steps(wild edge type) for platform. I'm now thinking of getting a Stacked outdoors.

Muddy Pro with cam cleat for me. I just sold my lone wolf sticks because if I use sticks I'd rather carry one vs four. I also started packing my bow on my back so I walk in with the stick in my hand. When I get to my tree there's no unpacking, pull up rope, etc. Just place the stick and tether on the tree and start climbing. Very efficient.

I did a bit of one sticking w/ a full LW. I felt more effective when I used only the bottom 2 steps and a single or double step aid. Since, I have gone to a short LW stick and 2x aider.

Muddy Pro with cam cleat for me. I just sold my lone wolf sticks because if I use sticks I'd rather carry one vs four. I also started packing my bow on my back so I walk in with the stick in my hand. When I get to my tree there's no unpacking, pull up rope, etc. Just place the stick and tether on the tree and start climbing. Very efficient.
I’m thinking about finding a cam cleat to replace the versa button to eliminate the pinch buckle on my stick to cut down on weight and eliminate the clunky buckle. Either that or amsteel daisy chain with the versa button

Back