• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best tether knot that works well with a tender?

BigAl

Rather than a rope man on a tether....I'd like to use a knot with or without a tender. What say ya'll? Best knots?

I use a Distel on my tether, Lineman's and my bridge. I feel that it is much easier to adjust with a hitch tender even when its been loaded. No need for the extra cost of a ropeman or a Madrock. Even on rappel I'll just use a figure 8. The way I use it I dont even need to use an autoblock for a back up.

I'm going to be the odd one out and say Michoacan. I've been having good luck with it self-tending (Beal 5.5mm Cordelette on Sterling C-IV) but am looking to switch to one of the JRB variants. @Brocky is a proponent of the Sticht hitch, which I need to spend some time with.

can you show me how to tie that one........................................................................

The Sticht, bottom left, and the Oval VT above it are two SRT hitches that are easily released and don’t bind up with use.
The Distel has a paracord tender, while the Schwabish is tended by the overhand knot that joins the ends together.
2833707E-E83F-460B-B927-D778C17E0F93.jpeg

I use the double Michoacan. It is also great to rappel as a backup. Never have to unhook or switch ropes.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I like a michoacan on a dedicated tether, just run the tail through the caribiner and use it for a tender. I've been playing with the sticht hitch for srt and if I was going to hang on my climbing rope I think I'd go that way.

Back