• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Uses for Amsteel to Save Weight

HugeBull

OK, I may be a weight weenie, but I am hoping to drop some ounces in the off season. I figure that I can drop weight and bulk by going to Amsteel, but I may lose the handy prussics that I am accustomed to using. I'd like some feedback from you folks on where the best places are to replace my gear with Amsteel and whether I am best off with daisy chains, full bury with loops, or other configurations. I'd also like your advice on diameter of Amsteel for the different uses. My current gear fits in a water bottle holder, but IMO, even this is heavier than it needs to be. Feel free to make other suggestions for saving a few ounces.

I climb with my EDP and/or two tether, and my current gear list is below:

EDP with standard versa button and standard buckle strap
Top tether: about 6 feet of 9mm (I think) climbing rope with 7mm prussic (extra handle) and 7mm distel hitch with locking carabiner, SS quick link, and two zip ties
Bottom tether: about 6 feet of 9mm climbing rope (figure 8 loop only) with 7mm prussic (foot loop) and locking carabiner
Webbing gear hanger, about 6 feet of lightweight webbing but two layers for about 4 feet of daisy chain with a hero clip
Haul rope, about 30 feet of paracord in a small bag with cheap, non-load bearing (NLB) biner
Kwnraor water bottle holster with zipper top, exterior zippered pocket, and Molle. Extra crappy NLB biner
I've also got a pair of clippers attached the the H20 holster, and there must be a lighter weight option...

I am open to any suggestions from you guys about how to drop some weight here. Again, please be specific about diameters and configurations when you make suggestions. Thanks. - Hugh

Getting rid of the cam buckle strap would be my first move. Replace with 1/8" amsteel daisy chain and use a truckers hitch to secure the platform.

Back