• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Better attachment accessories for the Kestrel

justsomedude

Love what I have seen of the Kestrel...but the accessory clips? Not so much.
Here's a few things I have. Please post discoveries you have made.

Basically, I like hard loops to hang soft items, soft loops to hang hard items.
IMG_2694.JPG
Left to right:
For Soft Loops, Maxpedition Tac-Ties. They come in a few sizes. Big enough to easily clip into. No weight no noise, easily moved to different molle loops.
Tac-link polymer carabiners. Easy mechanism, VERY light.
XTACER Molle D Ring clip. Hangs tighter on the molle loops, only of small items, opens like a carabiner but doesn't open very far.
Grimloc. Tried and true. I only use them for items that I don't need to open the clip very often for.
Metolius FS mini carabiner: Full strength, very lightweight.
Top right is a clamp with an elastic band. Can hold flashlights etc. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N6TF9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool idea. The only thing I hang off my Saddle are LoneWolf sticks on each side during my climb. Everything else goes in 1 of 2 dump pouches on either hip.

This is what I use.
gear_tie_loop_12_2pk.jpg

Love what I have seen of the Kestrel...but the accessory clips? Not so much.
Here's a few things I have. Please post discoveries you have made.

Basically, I like hard loops to hang soft items, soft loops to hang hard items.
View attachment 2322
Left to right:
For Soft Loops, Maxpedition Tac-Ties. They come in a few sizes. Big enough to easily clip into. No weight no noise, easily moved to different molle loops.
Tac-link polymer carabiners. Easy mechanism, VERY light.
XTACER Molle D Ring clip. Hangs tighter on the molle loops, only of small items, opens like a carabiner but doesn't open very far.
Grimloc. Tried and true. I only use them for items that I don't need to open the clip very often for.
Metolius FS mini carabiner: Full strength, very lightweight.
Top right is a clamp with an elastic band. Can hold flashlights etc. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N6TF9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i love that clip on the top right. I use one to hold my shooting sticks on my elk pack. here are a couple more options.

upload_2017-8-16_15-25-18.jpegupload_2017-8-16_15-25-52.jpegupload_2017-8-16_15-26-15.jpeg
images

Yes. Nite Ize. There's not much you can't do with them. I keep about 10 on my kayak at all times.

If i was at Costco and saw a box of 1500 nite ize gear ties I'd buy it in an instant. Love those things!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I ordered the bare saddle... I'm sure i will cut a few things off (hate any kind of buckle but can live with a waist buckle) and I'll make loops of paracord to hang sticks from.

I'm sure we will see a lot of kestrel mod posts/videos soon.... Probably Oct :)

I ordered the bare saddle... I'm sure i will cut a few things off (hate any kind of buckle but can live with a waist buckle) and I'll make loops of paracord to hang sticks from.

I'm sure we will see a lot of kestrel mod posts/videos soon.... Probably Oct :)

Awesome. Looking forward to it Dave. I see mods coming sept 2nd. Lol. That's just how we roll in the saddle community!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the reason it is made with Molle, you can find what fits your style. The molle accessory market if full of neat gizmo's and gadgets. The accessories Aero offers are just some basic options that can be made in house easily.

Thanks,
Boswell

Yup we messed up sorry about that
I am looking forward to the molle loops for carrying sticks up the tree

edf21bb153ec21534e2dbcedf8ab24b9.jpg

These might work with some light cord on the stick

I was thinking about using my bag that came with TL for accessories it might work.I hope it comes around far enough to side to be easy to access.

Sit drag as a back support accessory
I may take my sit drag out with my kestrel to try out the sit drag .

In that situation you can switch back and forth and use the sit drag as a back support or a means of hunting . I may do this. I have not tried the sit drag but have one and it would be a way to try something like that
The kestrel could replace a rock climbing harness until I decide weather the sit drag is for me

Last edited:
Kick stand to keep you off the tree like a guidos web

I was wondering if a piece of pvc pipe could be put in a molle loop and curve around your butt to make a removable kickstand - whale tail

All discussion regarding leg straps has been moved to a new thread. Please keep that discussion there.

Indeed and with the buckles I can secure it out of harms way before I assume the position. I'd hate to get any in my hunting diaper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just be sure to swing to the back side of the tree. You don't want to climb down, rappel, or lower your backpack into the brownie mix!

Cool idea. The only thing I hang off my Saddle are LoneWolf sticks on each side during my climb. Everything else goes in 1 of 2 dump pouches on either hip.

This is what I use.
gear_tie_loop_12_2pk.jpg

You use the nite ize for hanging the sticks or something different? Previously I would just hang a section at a time and go up and down. Always felt comfortable doing his and could be very quiet. Always worried about noise trying to climb and hang at the same time.

Back