• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Better Than A Bow Sling?

ricky racer

Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age. I used to enjoy carrying my traditional bows with me as I walked out to my hunting locations. It felt like a feather in my hands and the graceful wood handle was warm to the touch, but alas due to some shoulder issues that come with older age, last year I switched to a compound bow. I'm really happy with the compound, it shoots good but it feels like I'm carrying a brick with me as I head to the woods to hunt.

Last year, my first year in 30 years of hunting with a compound bow, I got kind of a rude awakening carrying that bow out. I purchased a sling to carry the weight of the bow over my shoulder and that worked good until I had my backpack on which I wear every time I hunt. With the backpack on I could never find a comfortable way to sing the bow and wear the backpack. I knew there had to be a better way that would no add to the weight of the bow and not be another piece of gear I need to contend with when I get to my stand.

What I came up with has worked really well for me, is really simple to make and adds nearly no weight to the bow and carries the bows weight on the backpack shoulder straps where it's hardly noticed at all. I'm using a 3/4" wide piece of nylon webbing with a loop at one end of the strap and a male side release buckle at the other end. On the bow I attached a female side release buckle to a short piece of the same 3/4" webbing to receive the male buckle end. To secure it to the bow I folded over the strap making it a double thickness and simply heated up a nail and melted a hole through the webbing just big enough to slip a #10-24 truss head screw through. Just above the bow shelf was an unused tapped hole for mounting the bow sights so I attached the strap and buckle to it. The strap that attaches to the backpack straps is girth hitched around the backpack shoulder straps. The bow hangs with a slight bias with the lower half of the bow tilted down at about a 30 degree angle. The buckle doesn't come close to interfering with my arrows and makes no noise when shooting. When I get to my hunting location, all I have to do is pinch the side release buckle and the bow pops free.

Bow Clip.jpg

When carrying the bow I simply lift the bow by the handle enough to level it out which is probably just a few ounces of felt weight. It's not a big deal to do besides I'd need to hold the bow anyway to keep it from swinging around when walking. This really makes carrying the bow a breeze and I don't even notice the weight of the bow since the bulk of its weight is suspended from my backpack through the shoulder straps. The pictures I took aren't the greatest but it gives you some idea of what I've got going on. Maybe this would be something that would work for you guys as well.

Bow Clip 1.jpg
Bow Clip 3.jpg
Bow Clip 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet idea. Can you use it as an attachment method for a bow hoist rope? Looks like you could exchange the end of whatever method you use (Doyle's, paracord, etc.) for a male buckle and be good to go.
Probably not since the bow won't be held in a vertical position. It's held in nearly a horizontal position, but if that would work for you, maybe so...

Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age. I used to enjoy carrying my traditional bows with me as I walked out to my hunting locations. It felt like a feather in my hands and the graceful wood handle was warm to the touch, but alas due to some shoulder issues that come with older age, last year I switched to a compound bow. I'm really happy with the compound, it shoots good but it feels like I'm carrying a brick with me as I head to the woods to hunt.

Last year, my first year in 30 years of hunting with a compound bow, I got kind of a rude awakening carrying that bow out. I purchased a sling to carry the weight of the bow over my shoulder and that worked good until I had my backpack on which I wear every time I hunt. With the backpack on I could never find a comfortable way to sing the bow and wear the backpack. I knew there had to be a better way that would no add to the weight of the bow and not be another piece of gear I need to contend with when I get to my stand.

What I came up with has worked really well for me, is really simple to make and adds nearly no weight to the bow and carries the bows weight on the backpack shoulder straps where it's hardly noticed at all. Using a 3/4" wide piece of nylon webbing with a loop at one end of the strap and a male side release buckle at the other end. On the bow I attached a female side release buckle to a short piece of the same 3/4" webbing to receive the male buckle end. To secure it to the bow I folded over the strap making it a double thickness and simply heated up a nail and melted a hole through the webbing just big enough to slip a #10-24 truss head screw through. Just above the bow shelf was an unused tapped hole for mounting the bow sights so I attached the strap and buckle to it. The strap that attaches to the backpack straps is girth hitched around the backpack shoulder straps. The bow hangs with a slight bias with the lower half of the bow tilted down at about a 30 degree angle. The buckle doesn't come close to interfering with my arrows and makes no noise when shooting. When I get to my hunting location, all I have to do is pinch the side release buckle and the bow pops free.

View attachment 94315

When carrying the bow I simply lift the bow by the handle enough to level it out which is probably just a few ounces of felt weight. It's not a big deal to do besides I'd need to hold the bow anyway to keep it from swinging around when walking. This really makes carrying the bow a breeze and I don't even notice the weight of the bow since the bulk of its weight is suspended from my backpack through the shoulder straps. The pictures I took aren't the greatest but it gives you some idea of what I've got going on. Maybe this would be something that would work for you guys as well.

View attachment 94316
View attachment 94317
View attachment 94320
Good idea and that's one on my favorite sights...

really liked this idea but didnt have buckles so i did paracord loops. did a cobra weave to make it look cool,cuz you know...works awesome!

@Red Beard this method would allow you to clip to a pull rope as you mentioned since i use 2 biners. clip one side to bow limb\quiver and other to pull rope of choice

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 17
  • paracord strap.jpg
    paracord strap.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 17
  • full strap.jpg
    full strap.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back