• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bibs and Saddles

Lcoop

Im new to saddle hunting and was trying to plan my season out. i have a Sitka Fanatic bib set for late season that is super warm but super thick. Wondering how it would work with the saddle, or if its even safe to try. what are solutions to staying warm late season.

I reccomend bibs. I wear first lite sanctuary bibs. You should be able to adjust your leg straps and belt to wear over bibs in the winter. The biggest cold area with saddle hunting for me is lower back, usually you are against a tree but with the saddle your back is exposed and bibs solve that issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Bibs Are they way to go whit saddle hunting seems to me like they keep the saddle from riding up under your coat compared to pants I Wear the Fanatic lite and regular bibs throughout the season depending on temps

I was torn on this too, and I tried a climbing in all that gear and I was a sweaty mess. The thought of trying to add those thick layers once up in the tree just felt like it introduced too many chances to make a mistake. I resolved that if it's cold enough to bust out the bibs and the heavy coat, it's cold enough to hunt from the ground and stay out of the trees. Then I can carry in layers, not be all sweaty, and add those layers as I start to get cold.

Last year I walked in in my long johns, sat in a ground blind for 20 minutes before I started to cool off and started layering up. 2 hours later I got my first deer, 10 feet from where I was sitting.

A couple of season's ago I incorporated the use of cheap GI Surplus fleece polartec bibs UNDER my hunting clothes but over my base layers. Keeps your midriff warm in the saddle and is low nap so not as bulky. Works pretty good up until mid to late November or roughly in the mid 20's. As it gets colder I incorporate a thicker GI style pants. My bottoms usually do not get as cold as my tops and that system at least for me keeps most of the bulk down for the saddle.

I wear bibs all the time in the saddle. My days of putting on bottoms and boots in the tree are over. I just unzip the side zippers if they have them and tie the suspenders around my waist and wear a light top.

Use to be a coveralls guy when in a treestand. Definitely prefer my bibs in a saddle. The first lite solitude set is awesome.

Back