• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big buck down! My first public land 8pt.

CodyO

Started out a few years back, been hunting this area for a while. Public land. Long walks. Finally paid off. I had way too much action Saturday evening. Bucks were chasing. Wide 8 pt came in chasing full speed. Could not get him to stop for a decent shot. He then snort wheezed, that was a first. I could not seal the deal. Then a tall rack came in at dark. Too dark for me. I walked out, dreaming of when I could ever see them again. Came into work. Requested two afternoons off so I could get back in there. Got back out there and only needed one. Came back in chasing a small doe at 6:30 pm. Noticed he had an old wound on his back. Dropped him. Tethered ESS sure helps me get off the ground in the deep.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1634817684597.jpg
    FB_IMG_1634817684597.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Snapchat-61899578.jpg
    Snapchat-61899578.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Snapchat-119952881.jpg
    Snapchat-119952881.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 158
Started out a few years back, been hunting this area for a while. Public land. Long walks. Finally paid off. I had way too much action Saturday evening. Bucks were chasing. Wide 8 pt came in chasing full speed. Could not get him to stop for a decent shot. He then snort wheezed, that was a first. I could not seal the deal. Then a tall rack came in at dark. Too dark for me. I walked out, dreaming of when I could ever see them again. Came into work. Requested two afternoons off so I could get back in there. Got back out there and only needed one. Came back in chasing a small doe at 6:30 pm. Noticed he had an old wound on his back. Dropped him. Tethered ESS sure helps me get off the ground in the deep.

What state was that in? Trying to judge what stage the rut might be in here in WV. I've seen some scrapes but no elevated daylight activity.

What state was that in? Trying to judge what stage the rut might be in here in WV. I've seen some scrapes but no elevated daylight activity.

There's a very high level of consensus in scientific studies in this part of the country that the rut is the same time every year. The does don't all go into heat at once, it's on a bell curve. Around here starting in early October you can encounter hot does and it peaks on November 14, some later, and then you get the second estrous of unbred does a month later, and if fawns cycle they can be anytime through winter. Being around one of those early hot does is some of the craziest hunting action your will ever experience.

When_is_the_Rut_in_Pennsylvania2.jpg

Hey ho....I know that guy

Dude! Awesome deer

Any clue as to what happened to him prior?
What up Brother! I thought the wound was maybe from fighting. Looks more like a bow shot too high. Wasn't too bad, no infection when skinned. Those suckers are tough! My buddy Gordon had a front row seat to the action. We were saddled only 50 yards apart! :)

@Scupstatehunter

What up Brother! I thought the wound was maybe from fighting. Looks more like a bow shot too high. Wasn't too bad, no infection when skinned. Those suckers are tough! My buddy Gordon had a front row seat to the action. We were saddled only 50 yards apart! :)

@Scupstatehunter
I should had took the camera I'm sorry it was awesome

Impressive job! Congrats!

Upstate South Carolina.
No kidding! Thats where my farm is. Cherokee County. Even more impressive buck! Killed a decent 9 2 weeks ago that was chasing a doe with 2 other bucks. Didnt see much at all last weekend. Cant wait to go again this weekend with the cool weather finally here.

Yeah it's getting co
No kidding! Thats where my farm is. Cherokee County. Even more impressive buck! Killed a decent 9 2 weeks ago that was chasing a doe with 2 other bucks. Didnt see much at all last weekend. Cant wait to go again this weekend with the cool weather finally here.
Yeah it's getting cool now

Back