• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big City FNG ...... can I practice hanging on the Statue of Liberty?

ChrisW

Hi everyone. Being new to Hunting, Bow Hunting and Saddle Hunting and living in NYC is an odd thing. Not many people around to learn from. None of my family lives in this part of the country. No backyard to practice in. Oh, did I mention no car to to transport all my gear in? haha, should be an easy learning adventure right? Well I hope you follow me around on here for my mistake riddled learning hikes into the woods trying to get close to my desired groceries.

Reach out to these jerkies (or whatever you guys call each other over there). Very knowledgeable guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you could catch a train N/S and find some folks that could help. Where there's a will theres a way! Best of luck to you!

Welcome from MO. If you hang from Lady Liberties torch be sure to post s video.

Welcome from Georgia! And fyi, Steve Rinella lived in NYC for several years and managed to keep his sanity. Central park has a ton of trees... just look out for the dirt people... ( Seinfeld reference)

Street lamps might offer a nice opportunity to practice your setup. IF your stealthy you might be able to slip up on a giant rats bedding area...
hmm, great practice tips and urban opportunities to get practice in... thanks for the out of the box thing tips.. haha

Reach out to these jerkies (or whatever you guys call each other over there). Very knowledgeable guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I follow their youtube, they are upstate but definitely learned some helpful stuff from their vids.

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you could catch a train N/S and find some folks that could help. Where there's a will theres a way! Best of luck to you!
yup basically the plan... Metro North or LIRR trains North or East. but have to figure out what to do if I get lucky enough to get an animal. Field Process is my best guess.

I'm sure there's been stranger things done than hanging in a saddle in Central Park..... I was just in Manhattan for work 2weeks ago.
Exactly. know where I can get a giant squirrel costume? haha. There are a few small ranges up here if you come back again and want to practice.

If you get a deer, can you haul it on the bus??
if I tie it's front hooves together maybe I can pretend its a really well designed backpack! I'm assuming I'll need to learn to field process and discreetly pack it or find a very helpful local butcher.

Welcome from NC! You can always take the jitney out to the Hamptons and practice!!!
Thanks Recurve, Haha the Jitney ... maybe if I bring a tarp and some duct tape I can toss the carcass in the luggage area. yeah if I use the Jitney, / where it stops I would have to use an Uber or a bicycle to then be able to get to anyplace allowed to hunt or practice, but doable I guess. I'm not sure what I would do with the cooler I would need for that bus ride if hunting though haha

Welcome from MO. If you hang from Lady Liberties torch be sure to post s video.
Haha I wont have to shoot that video... there are plenty of professional news outfits here that will happily shoot that for me and make sure you see it :)

Back