• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big fat tether..tiny prussic

bow shot

I see that we are using these big fat tether/lineman's ropes. I'm looking at these prussic knots (supplied by Tethrd, New Tribe, HSS, etc.) and its striking me that it looks like that skinny little prussic cord, going 1x around the 'biner is really where the rubber meets the road. So it engenders these questions: Am I mistaken or is that not the weakest link ? And if that is the case, are we just using these huge ropes because they handle well for our purposes? I'm fine with that... just wondering.

To grab correctly the prussic should ideally be 3mm smaller than the line it is wrapped around. Most are using 8mm prussic since it, as you correctly pointed out, is the limiting cordage. That makes the tether an 11mm rope minimum if your attaching with a prussic.

I see that we are using these big fat tether/lineman's ropes. I'm looking at these prussic knots (supplied by Tethrd, New Tribe, HSS, etc.) and its striking me that it looks like that skinny little prussic cord, going 1x around the 'biner is really where the rubber meets the road. So it engenders these questions: Am I mistaken or is that not the weakest link ? And if that is the case, are we just using these huge ropes because they handle well for our purposes? I'm fine with that... just wondering.
Could be wrong but I dont think it's the weakest link, 8mm accessory cord is rated around 3500lbs in a end to end fashion since the rope is wrapped around main line and you are connected to both ends of the rope the load rating is increased quite a bit because your load is distributed to 2 both sides of the rope.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
8mm prussic on an 11mm rope. There is no weak link in that set up for what we are dealing with, here.

hmm. My lineman's measure 0.5" (12.7mm) and prussic rope measure 0.25" (6.35mm) cord relaxed. 0.45 (11.43mm) and 0.23 (5.84mm) respectively, cord stretched. Measured with a dial caliper barely gracing the cross sections at various places, on straight sections of relaxed cord. I'll fiddle around with this. Not a big deal, I'm sure, more of a point of curiosity.

Last edited:
I once asked the same question, and the answer I got is that you should still have the end of your lineman belt connected to your carabiner, that way if your prussik did fail, you would still have the full rating of your rope to protect you from a fall. Use the prussik for adjustments, but your rope connected on both ends for safety.

I once asked the same question, and the answer I got is that you should still have the end of your lineman belt connected to your carabiner, that way if your prussik did fail, you would still have the full rating of your rope to protect you from a fall. Use the prussik for adjustments, but your rope connected on both ends for safety.

Everybody should do this...period

From the testing I've read friction hitches will slip before the cord breaks. I'll see if I can dig up some of those later.

Back