• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big & Tall

bigjoe

Gents I want to point out a few things for us larger guys. This is more of a gut check
and realization.

I am not complaining just trying to educate some of the younger and bigger gents.

First of all, you do need to be in somewhat decent shape to hunt like this. You do not have to be able to run a marathon or be able to do 20 pull ups or even do 1. You should be able to move your own body weight comfortably using your legs.

I come from a large athletic family. Shoot the last time I saw 194 lbs was when I was cutting weight for wrestling and the last time I saw 209 lbs was when I was boxing in college running 10 miles a day, with ring work and bag drills. My younger brother is way on the other end of the larger size. Yet was in better shape than most people could ever hope for.

The average guy is 5’10” and 195 lbs. with a size 10 foot. Yup Americans are getting larger. Well I am on the other end of that bell curve.

I and other guys that are big, have considerations to take into account when buying our equipment and trees we select.
I am a large and tall. Shoot I got out college and had a 50” chest with a 33-34” waist. Nothing like your parents buying a suit that is athletic cut and having to have material cut away. (Those were the glory days)

A guy that is 200 lbs and has a size 10 foot can use most of the gear in this hunting forum safely. Once I get within 50 lbs of the max weight on a piece of equipment I begin to worry.

A lot of the equipment a regular size man uses, I rethink because of the weight limits. I would love to get a set of the KIWI’s, but for me and others it is not realistic. Take the Wild Edge Spurs. I feel very safe using them. However, I cam them over and put weight on them and they slide down the tree a bit until they dig in. The Ernie and Klemz stands are great however, having a size a 14 foot does not give us big guys the room we need or the safety factor. The WE Stepps are truly a one foot option for a size 14 foot. I can tediously get both on there but not like a guy with a size 10.

The Kestrel is great and actually comfortable. I have a ruptured disc and I feel the kestrel supporting my lower back.

This all being said.

I am going to engage my brother to build a mobile platform. He is a PE and pretty innovative. If he is interested, I would think he will put one into production. He has a working knowledge of materials and construction. Safety loads etc.

Last edited:
Nice. I am 6'6" and right now weigh around 260. Trying to lose some before hunting season but that was my plan last year too. Had knee surgery a few weeks ago so I am not sure of what all I can do right now but ready to start. Keep us posted.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I’m also a large guy. 6’1” and 285. The xop platform is big enough but I see it flex too much under guys that weigh 200. Two size tens aren’t fitting on one wild edge stepp either. I can get enough of my size 13 on both feet to support my weight with my heels or front of each foot. The xop hand climber holds my weight without flexing. I’m interested in what Ernie comes up with on his platform and would like to see what your brother can come up with as well. For now I will use my wild edge stepps as a platform unless I am using spurs then I will break out the hand climber top. I’m also experimenting with bolts. At 280 I can set a wild edge tight enough it doesn’t slip. On the occasional step that does slip I still trust it. Climbing sticks don’t even start to get tight until they slip some.

I'm also on the larger side. right at 6' and 230. I did not like the way the XOP flexed. The wild edge steps make me feel super confident, but would like to have a beefier platform option. Im willing to sacrifice super light weight for safe and sturdy. Ive been thinking about cutting down a lone wolf platform but so far have not been willing to invest that kind of money on a experiment lol

6' 2", 235lbs, pants 40/36 and 2XL/XL in tops, size 13/14 in boot/shoes.

The XOP platform has made me a little nervous i'll admit. Not sure what the shearing strength of the bolt that secures the platform to the post is but i've gotta be testing the upper limits of it's stresses LOL... nevermind the actual strength of the platform itself. Actually the whole getup down to the cam buckles makes me a little anxious but IMO it's best platform solution to-date. I'm alway double tethered to tree with linemans and tree tether when using that thing.

My wild edge steps I haven't been able to test as much but personally I would need one step per foot for a platform. Haven't had any sliding issues for my test climbs unless I didn't cam them tight enough to begin with. By nature of their design they should support a significant amount more of weight than a cantilevered platform, assuming the material supports it. So far no issues.

Honestly the rope ladder and platform from ARC looks ingenius. I'm saving up to buy one - maybe over the summer. It seems to address all of the limitations of cast hardware and nuts and bolts. But I suppose only some testing will determine whether it's a practical solution for most. From experience trying to fish size 14 lacrosse boots through aiders can be fun.

Same here, 6 ft , 250lbs. I use the ernie xop platform BUT I never stand on the end of it! I always stay as close to the beam as possible. As for the WE I also am a size 14 and I can get both on a step, mine only slip when I am climbing soft barked trees. We are tethered to the tree so if something does fail, I feel confident that I will end up with some bruises but survive. I would like to see what your brother can come up with for sure!

6'4" and 260. Keep us updated on your brother's platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6’-2” 260 pounds (naked and dry) size 12. I have always had concerns about any gear that is rated for 300 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just texted my brother with my thoughts. I got totally wrapped up with work and forgot to call or email him yesterday.

Whatever he comes up with it will add weight to the platform. I know that. Yet for my piece of mind I can handle an extra pound or two.

they are so under rated on most of this stuff you should feel safe. but i understand where you are coming from

6'3, 235 here, never used a platform just bolts, steps, limbs,etc. Never felt unsafe in my TL saddles, contemplating a kestrel but my ambush saddle weighs less than the kestrel with all my lines,etc. So kind of a if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of guy. Interested in platform for sure.

6'2" around 300ish, definitely interested in a platform that will hold the full figured man, however I have no problem with screw ins or a ring of ameristeps.

I too suffer from the curse of large and in charge at 5'10 and 400 down from over 595 and size 12 feet. I have WE stepps but am getting ready to order a harness form the themanstoreonline.com. However because of fear of killing myself I am currently building a preachers seat out of 2 laminated 3/4 plywood and 10,000 breaking strength industrial webbing. I will actually video myself when I finish it and see how it looks while in my yard. I am also using 25kn carabiners and 1/2 amsteel for rope. Just FYI.

My issue is also clothing but a great resource is bigcamo.com.

@bigman try it with one piece of 3/4. Set it up so the straps go under the plywood and you should be good. Even if the wood broke the straps would hold.

Any of you larger guys using a ropeman 1 for adjustments on either your lineman's belt or tree strap?

Any of you larger guys using a ropeman 1 for adjustments on either your lineman's belt or tree strap?
I have been practicing with 2 one on my linesman and one on my tether. They work great. I do clip the end of the tether to my belt as a backup. not needed but a piece of mind.
270- 6'-2"

I was using the ropeman 1. on my flipline/lanyard. It really is a great tool.

However, I switched over to a Distel Hitch and micro pulley on the lanyard. This offers the one handed adjustment.

Any recommendations for climbing sticks? I'm 6'3 265lbs and am ready to pull the trigger on a set, but would like input from some other big guys.

Back