• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bikes for hunting

JWK

Does anyone use a bike to get to their stands? I recently purchased an E-bike, but haven't taken it hunting yet. Looking forward to getting around the woods a little quicker & quieter. For health reasons this will get me out more often and give me a better quality hunt. I'm pretty excited about it.

Love to hear some real life stories from folks that already use a bike.

I used one to access the buck I killed on Tuesday night. It’s not an ebike but I feel it helps me access areas without spooking the deer as badly as if I were walking. Also it’s less strenuous on me which helps with the early season temperatures and sweating here in Tennessee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used my people powered one last weekend to get back down a horse trail that would have been a serious walk for me. Unfortunately in the end it didn't work out in this instance because I hadn't scouted that area enough and I struggled to find a proper spot to hunt. This weekend I plan on returning during the midday hours to scout a it more before venturing back there to actually sit again. Ultimately, with the compact saddle hunting gear and a sling bow it's remarkably easy to ride the bike in and out will all the gear I need to hunt with.

I have a Bakcou and I love it. I climb hills in Southern Tier of NY and I have an 800 ft difference from where I park to the top of the land. It will go wherever you want it to go. I have passed 6-7 deer this year in the dark and they either just stand there or couple bounds and stop. Much quieter than a atv which I have if I need it. The pull behind carts i have not tried on hilly terrain. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. Going up those hills does drain the battery but I used it for checking cameras and you are going to a specific spot and not driving around for an hour. Saddle bags carry steps and platform. Get off reattach the shoulder strap to steps and on my way looking for tree.

I have the Quietkat 750 ambush. I have a hunt where you have to park in the parking lot and walk 3/4 of a mile or further before you can even get to the far end of the property for hunting. It is all on hard pavement to the property (a campground they close on Oct 1 to the public). I use my QK to get to the tree and to the area I hopefully will kill deer. It butts up to a swamp (campsites) and the deer bed in those sites. Hopefully I'll get a deer and then ride back to the truck, grab my cart, ride back, pick up deer and then back to the truck. My furthest tree location is almost a mile back and while I can literally walk on a road there and back it is still almost a mile. So with the electric bike, if I get a deer then by the time I get the kill back to the truck it will be almost 4 miles there and back twice. Or two miles if I bring my cart with me when I first get there. So yea...my e-bike is a life saver.

I have a Bakcou and I love it. I climb hills in Southern Tier of NY and I have an 800 ft difference from where I park to the top of the land. It will go wherever you want it to go. I have passed 6-7 deer this year in the dark and they either just stand there or couple bounds and stop. Much quieter than a atv which I have if I need it. The pull behind carts i have not tried on hilly terrain. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. Going up those hills does drain the battery but I used it for checking cameras and you are going to a specific spot and not driving around for an hour. Saddle bags carry steps and platform. Get off reattach the shoulder strap to steps and on my way looking for tree.
I have the BakCou Mule. So far just riding around the streets, It's pretty amazing.

I have the BakCou Mule. So far just riding around the streets, It's pretty amazing.
Just know that it has enough power to pretty much do whatever you want.The walk assist is really nice when you get in a situation you don't trust yourself. I have ventured a few times and turn around to go back up and it was steeper than I thought. Getting started on a steep terrain is not as easy as one thinks. You can also go in with minimal clothes on because you are pedaling and getting the blood flowing. Where are you in PA?

Reactions: JWK
I am in Washington county, but I do a lot of hunting in North Central Clearfield/Elk county area. Are you in PA?

Does anyone use a bike to get to their stands? I recently purchased an E-bike, but haven't taken it hunting yet. Looking forward to getting around the woods a little quicker & quieter. For health reasons this will get me out more often and give me a better quality hunt. I'm pretty excited about it.

Love to hear some real life stories from folks that already use a bike.

My eBike is like the American Express Card........ Best purchase I ever made!

47fa17487d2d3449e5eaaa62e2decfc3.jpg

This is under one of my Elk setups! I had a cow and calf knock it over this year. Doesn’t even phase them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am considering buying one. I am not a little guy. I'm 6'4" and weigh 295lbs. Will the bikes work with someone my size as long as I pedal assist and not rely completely on the motor?
I am only looking to get into my stand and back out. I won't be taking it on long trips as of yet. More than likely just a couple miles in and out.

I see several with all of these ranges saying how far, but in a wooded or grassed field with some hills, do they last?

I am eager to hear your opinions and experiences.

I am considering buying one. I am not a little guy. I'm 6'4" and weigh 295lbs. Will the bikes work with someone my size as long as I pedal assist and not rely completely on the motor?
I am only looking to get into my stand and back out. I won't be taking it on long trips as of yet. More than likely just a couple miles in and out.

I see several with all of these ranges saying how far, but in a wooded or grassed field with some hills, do they last?

Rad rover would be fine I’m 5’11” 235 and hauls me and my kids around no problem

I mountain bike to stay in shape, I use it all the time for access. I have a rack I can take off easily for my sticks and platform, and some 3d printed cargo mounts for misc stuff. I carry my bow on my pack (Stone Glacier Avail 2200 on an Xcurve frame).

I got the radrover 5 love it. Have put 150 miles on it already. Things a lifesaver in some situations lol

Oh that radrover is in my budget. I'm 6'2". 235lbs. Would be putting it to the test in missouri this november. Think it would handle hills and mountain and big guy and gear?

I know the RAMBO Bikes are rated at 300lbs. The Bakcou Mule is rated at 250 and I am just under that and it seems fine. I think it would handle 295 with no issues. You just can't expect to go as far on the battery as someone that weighs 150lbs. I actually don't like going full battery it seems like it would be too fast in the woods.

The ranges they put on E-Bikes are under ideal conditions. They are not realistic under most real conditions. There are a lot of factors that go in to determining the distance. Wind, surface, weight, terrain, battery and how much you are willing to pedal all play a role in the total distance you can go.

Ohio Angler, If you are thinking about one I would say go for it if you can. You will love it!

When it is dry a bike is great where I hunt. Once it gets wet it is easier to just walk. River bottom gumbo and bikes dont mix well.

Back