• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Biners I use .. question?

Bowtech12

These are the 2 biners I use
My tether has the tethrd one I hit 2 years ago
The black 1 is for my lineman’s belt. I believe it came with my sit and climb lw tree stand

any thoughts on these two? Safety wise??

Attachments

• D0B00949-658C-420D-BD87-B580968F7ADD.jpeg
    D0B00949-658C-420D-BD87-B580968F7ADD.jpeg
    614.5 KB · Views: 78
Tethrd one is good, that black one I’d ditch personally. I like my biners to be screw gate at the least or some kind of locking mechanism like an auto lock or mag lock. Before switching to those too many times I’d catch my biners with something stuck in the gate. I religiously check them but I like having the extra insurance policy.

These are the 2 biners I use
My tether has the tethrd one I hit 2 years ago
The black 1 is for my lineman’s belt. I believe it came with my sit and climb lw tree stand

any thoughts on these two? Safety wise??

do not use a nonlocking carabiner at all.....let alone of questionable origin

ONLY climbing rated carabiners from reputable climbing companies.....i certainly don't consider the lone wolf one reputable and i'd only trust the tethrd one if another company made it and then tethrd slapped their name on it....the forging and heat treat process for a good 'biner is NOT something tethrd can do

i'd toss both and buy screw lock carabiners from petzl....it's less than 30 bucks....please

i can use just the rope and undo a nonlocking carabiner in 1 second....climbers only use them when they have tons in a row and can afford one to not hold and they also know how to clip them properly to minimize that....and they'd never use a nonlocking one to clip to a harness or where a single point of failure would cause a fall

Last edited:

ONLY climbing rated carabiners from reputable climbing companies.....i certainly don't consider the lone wolf one reputable and i'd only trust the tethrd one if another company made it and then tethrd slapped their name on it....the forging and heat treat process for a good 'biner is NOT something tethrd can do

i'd toss both and buy screw lock carabiners from petzl....it's less than 30 bucks....please

i can use just the rope and undo a nonlocking carabiner in 1 second....climbers only use them when they have tons in a row and can afford one to not hold and they also know how to clip them properly to minimize that....and they'd never use a nonlocking one to clip to a harness or where a single point of failure would cause a fall

@Nutterbuster has a video where he shows how easily a rope can get doubled onto a carabiner and unlock it....i can't find it though on his youtube channel...maybe he'll see this and drop a link

all you have to do is pull one side of the rope in the direction the other side came from (putting it over the gate) and then pull....and the rope comes out like trick handcuffs

What biners would you recommend?

Anything locking from a reputable source like EWO, REI, Wesspur, or right from a climbing manufacturer like Kong, Petzl, Black Diamond, Wild Country, etc.
Also, research your application and functionality. For example if you’re going to use a manual ascender like the Mammut Smart they recommend HMS style biners only. This is due to locking and braking function. If you use a different style biner the device won’t work as advertised. Kong Ducks work well with oval biners like Kongs own biner and they will work with some pear biners but those can also cause binding during rotation or after a shift when your tether/linemans belt isn’t loaded.

Ok
I looked at Petzl on Amazon but none of them have a weight rating? Should that be listed? These are the locking ones

Ok
I looked at Petzl on Amazon but none of them have a weight rating? Should that be listed? These are the locking ones
Others have strong opinions on this and I do as well. DO NOT buy anything from Amazon or eBay you’ll be trusting your life to. Amazon is full of counterfeit goods which I have been the victim of first hand. Go to rei website and buy one from them or another climbing website. And yes any reputable TESTED, climb rated carabiner should have the standards in it unless it’s a manufacturer branded biner like tethrd.

Here’s what I use/have used:

The dimensions on this is 5”x4x1 seems big

go to petzl or a reputable site and look at specs and make sure that you aren't reading the package dimensions.....petzls, for example, come with literature clipped to them and some folks might have them in a box

click on any of these to see petzl specs

here's what i'm using this year

no aluminum carabiner for climbing is going to be big....all (except if they are some specialty item they'll tell you about) will easily fit in your palm

Back