• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bino's

Derb25

I hunt mostly woods, looking to add a set of Binoculars to my pack, what is the consensus 10X or 8X ?

I would even argue that 6x is enough for most people in the woods, especially when bowhunting. I have a pair of Leupold 6x30's and have never felt the need for more magnification in the whitetail woods. The biggest thing for me is low light ability which is a factor of the exit pupil. 6x30's have an exit pupil of 5mm (30/6=5). If you go with 8x binos you need to go with a minimum of 42mm to maintain an exit pupil of 5mm or more.

OK Thank you, any recommendations? I have been looking at the Vortex Crossfire 8x42's.

Yeah those should be fine. I always think you should get the best you can afford. I have the Vortex 8x32 Diamondback HD’s. They’re the next line up from the crossfires. More expensive but they are so awesome and you can tell the quality in the glass is there. Amazingly clear and do pick up detail better than my eyes in higher and lower light. What I like most about them is their small size. The 8x42 I think are a bit bigger but still pretty small and should work well for you. If you want to stay in the crossfire price range though, nothing wrong with that at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8x or 6x is good magnification. Problem is 42mm is a nice objective diameter (good balance of light gathering capacity and not too much bulk) and 42mm is generally 10x for some unknown reason. 8x42 is great for about everything here in the east if you can get them

I just got some Vortex 10x50 Razors. I love them. Got them for elk hunting next year but having been using them for duck hunting too. Going to use them for hunting whitetails too.

Don't stick to 1 brand. Go to a store and put a bunch of different manufacturers to your eyes. I tried about 5 different brands before I settled on the Razors.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I was looking at getting a pair of 8x42 vortex diamondbacks earlier this year for hunting the woods. After trying my neighbors 10x42 diamondbacks I was surprised the 10 power was pretty good for even up close and when you need to look out past 50 yards they really help. Plus the 10x42s go on sale and I can use them out west if need be. The 8x42s would work just as well, to each their own.

Maven is great, but more money. Their "C" series is better than entry level vortex. My next pair will be b2 in 11x45. I dropped my pair of vortex diamond backs and vortex fixed them asap. So they do have a good warranty program.

I have el 8.5 x 42s, and I can say I wish I got 10s. 8s are indeed fine for just woods work. But where I'm at I have allot of power lines and clear cuts and feel the 8s aren't enough. I would like to get the new NL Pures in 10s that still have more fov than others 8s do...

Back