• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Black Bear trailing adult deer

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
Last year in late December I was hunting on my property one evening. Just before dark a 1.5 yr old buck trotted off the hill at that pace that you know he was being pushed by something. He stopped about 40 yards from me and stood there for a few seconds, looking back over his shoulder before he took off running. About 30 seconds later I see two black bears, probably about 150lbs each coming down the same trail with their noses on the ground. They trailed the buck up to the point that he took off, where they lost the trail for a few minutes. I watched them work back and forth with their noses on the ground, just like a dog would, until they picked up the trail again and continued following the deer out of site. I thought it was kind of odd as I had never heard of a beer doing that but, didn't give it much more thought.

Then a few weeks ago my dad was sitting in his stand when he saw a 6pt browsing towards him through a heavily timbered area. When the deer got to one of the timber roads, he turned and headed out towards where my son was hunting. A few minutes later the deer came back a slightly different path (I presume he winded my son) and worked his way down under my dads stand and out of site. About 20 minutes later dad sees an adult bear trailing that 6 pt. He followed the trail exactly, even turning out the road towards my son and then coming back the same trail, working under my dads stand and out of sight.

Then Friday, I found a fresh set of deer tracks in the snow with an even fresher set of good sized bear tracks following the deer tracks step for step. I know black bear eat fawns but, It seems odd for a bear to expend that much energy tracking an adult deer that late in the year. Just curious if anyone else has ever seen this?

Haha. Yeah, I know they eat fawns in the spring and any deer carcasses they can find. I've seen a lot of bear while hunting but, I've just never seen them with noses to the ground trailing adult deer other than behind my house the past two years. Just curious how common it was. Seems like they would be smart enough not to waste energy trailing healthy deer.

Same thing happened to my brother in law this past weekend. Mature doe came running through his area and black bear came running in behind her right down her trail.

In Louisiana we have a subspecies of Black bear. I’ve hunted all my life amongst the densest population of these animals and have observed them on numerous occasions in site of mature deer. These instances where always in agricultural fields never in close proximity of the hardwoods. The deer didn’t show too much anxiety about the bearsin these situation. Now a feed troughs, Atv, trash can or even a gas can is a different story! Here’s a pic of two larger bears at a feed trough below.

Attachments

• 3F1F1B9C-D84D-424D-BAA7-F21C6C2D57C9.jpeg
    3F1F1B9C-D84D-424D-BAA7-F21C6C2D57C9.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 16
Back