• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Black Hornet

Ckwilli

SH Member
I found a good deal at an archery shop on the 125gr Magnus Black Hornet Ser-razor. So far I’ve been pleased. They look good, fly good, and seem to be pretty rugged. It says they have a lifetime warranty too. Anyone have any experience with these? Pro’s or Con’s? I’d love to hear if anyone has killed any critters with them and how the performed.

I found a good deal at an archery shop on the 125gr Magnus Black Hornet Ser-razor. So far I’ve been pleased. They look good, fly good, and seem to be pretty rugged. It says they have a lifetime warranty too. Anyone have any experience with these? Pro’s or Con’s? I’d love to hear if anyone has killed any critters with them and how the performed.
You came to the right place then because I switched to these exact heads last year and I love them. They fly spot on with my field points and the deer I shot with them never knew what hit them, literally. I do have a Stay Sharp sharpener and diamond sharpening plates that I used to put a scary sharp edge on them but they zipped through the deer so fast they just took a couple of bounds, stopped, and then fell over dead. I haven't had to use it but the lifetime warranty is also an awesome feature that usually only comes with more expensive heads. What did you get for a deal on them? Just curious.

Do y'all know how the lifetime warranty works? Just send them in and they send you a new pack? I used them the last two years with a stay sharp jig also and they get scary sharp. Only problems with me is I've had very minimal blood trails. That being said a deer has never gone over 60 yards after shooting them.

Do y'all know how the lifetime warranty works? Just send them in and they send you a new pack? I used them the last two years with a stay sharp jig also and they get scary sharp. Only problems with me is I've had very minimal blood trails. That being said a deer has never gone over 60 yards after shooting them.
I admit I wasn't super impressed by the blood trail either but like you said, they usually don't go far. There was plenty of blood for tracking if needed though. I'm talking dead center double lung here.

I admit I wasn't super impressed by the blood trail either but like you said, they usually don't go far. There was plenty of blood for tracking if needed though. I'm talking dead center double lung here.
Yes same here. Double lung and couldn't find hardly any blood on my buck last year. He went 60-70 yards and was dead but I was tracking him on pin drops

As far as the warranty.... I shot this buck in '21 with their Magnus Snuffer. It's their only welded broadhead and not produced in their Kansas factory site. The Snuffer went thru the heart, hit the off-side shoulder and broke the welds. The buck went 30ish yards and fell over!
Snuffer 2.jpg
B3.jpg
Just the same, I called Mike Sohm and he told me "A warranty is a warranty. Which broadhead do you want to replace this one?" :)
I emailed him a photo of the broadhead damage, per his request. The broadhead did the job it was designed to do, despite the breakage. I asked his recommendation and he said the BuzzCut is very popular and has excellent results. So, he sent me a BuzzCut as a replacement. I killed a buck last fall with the BuzzCut that he sent me. Love Magnus broadheads!!! :cool:
Buck 8.jpg

You came to the right place then because I switched to these exact heads last year and I love them. They fly spot on with my field points and the deer I shot with them never knew what hit them, literally. I do have a Stay Sharp sharpener and diamond sharpening plates that I used to put a scary sharp edge on them but they zipped through the deer so fast they just took a couple of bounds, stopped, and then fell over dead. I haven't had to use it but the lifetime warranty is also an awesome feature that usually only comes with more expensive heads. What did you get for a deal on them? Just curious.
It was a shade under $34 out the door. From what I can tell they usually run about $39+ tax

As far as the warranty.... I shot this buck in '21 with their Magnus Snuffer. It's their only welded broadhead and not produced in their Kansas factory site. The Snuffer went thru the heart, hit the off-side shoulder and broke the welds. The buck went 30ish yards and fell over!
View attachment 89321
View attachment 89322
Just the same, I called Mike Sohm and he told me "A warranty is a warranty. Which broadhead do you want to replace this one?" :)
I emailed him a photo of the broadhead damage, per his request. The broadhead did the job it was designed to do, despite the breakage. I asked his recommendation and he said the BuzzCut is very popular and has excellent results. So, he sent me a BuzzCut as a replacement. I killed a buck last fall with the BuzzCut that he sent me. Love Magnus broadheads!!! :cool:
View attachment 89323
He just emailed me back and said all I have to do is send a picture and they will send replacements. pretty sweet

He just emailed me back and said all I have to do is send a picture and they will send replacements. pretty sweet
That's how it worked with me and my return. :cool:
Getting the replacement broadhead took a couple of months, because it was during the hunting seasons. I expected that and wasn't in a rush, as I have other broadheads ready to go. :)

Wow, maybe I need to pick up another pack. The ones I got were the two blade but I think I would like the ones with the bleeder blades also.

I use both the Black Hornet Ser Razors and the Stingers - I've been very happy with them. I've punched through bones and still gotten pass-through. I've not had to use the warranty, and I also touch them up with the Staysharp to keep them as sharp as I can get them. I do not have plans to switch anytime soon.

This is my reply in the LWCG Broadhead thread. I think it is applicable here:

I swapped to the Ser razors two seasons ago. last year I killed 3 with them. The first two were not pass throughs, however they were steep angle shots that buried in bone. The first went half way into the offside shoulder ball. The second cut three ribs and buried in the breast bone. Both cut the heart and had good blood trails despite one hole. The third was a double lung pass through that the buck didn't even know what hit him. He jumped at the sound and made three jumps before standing still and slowing walking 20 yards where he fell over. Combined tracking distance for all 3 deer was less than 100 yards. All three heads are in the quiver today and getting touched up on the stay sharp before the season.

I don’t have a stay sharp but think I’ll pick one up. Which model works for the see-razor? I’ve had some success sharpening with my lansky but stay sharp looks easier.

I don’t have a stay sharp but think I’ll pick one up. Which model works for the see-razor? I’ve had some success sharpening with my lansky but stay sharp looks easier.
I don't remember which sharpener I have for my Serazors but I know it works great and gets them scary sharp.

@Ckwilli
Stay Sharp now offers some combo kits for fixed and replaceable broadheads. :cool: The replaceable blade model is what you need for any replaceable blade broadhead, like the Magnus 2 and 4 blade models. :) I have the fixed blade model for my single bevel broadheads. Both models work great and are a must for anyone trying to keep a razor sharp edge on your broadheads!!!

@Ckwilli
Stay Sharp now offers some combo kits for fixed and replaceable broadheads. :cool: The replaceable blade model is what you need for any replaceable blade broadhead, like the Magnus 2 and 4 blade models. :) I have the fixed blade model for my single bevel broadheads. Both models work great and are a must for anyone trying to keep a razor sharp edge on your broadheads!!!
Thanks for the info

Back